Bachelor of Accounting (Co-op) 2016 (1 Viewer)

Stevebt123

HSC
I've gotten a feeling from talking to a bunch of current Bacc students that its not much extra curricular activities such as sport but they're more interested in activities that show that you have a good sense of teamwork and are a good communicator. So instead of simply partaking in sports you have to play an active role in leading the team.

jaydogz

HSC
Also, I know that everything I have read about te bachelor of accounting stresses the need for the candidate to be 'well-rounded' in terms of extra curriculars. Does that mean that they are after someone who isn't a nerd per se but more into sports and the like?
Absolutely! You'll find that accounting and business in general is quickly progressing from a number-crunching role to a job which requires leadership, teamwork and communication. BAcc is really looking for students who not only excel in their studies but who also possess a range of interpersonal skills. In your interview you should definitely be prepared to talk about how you have these skills with examples such as a team sport you play or a leadership role you have at school.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It all comes down to how your experiences outside the classroom make you a better potential cadet. Your actual sports performance whilst interesting and says something about character/personality isn't necessarily the key thing they're looking for when they ask about ECs.

yrneh

HSC
Are the round 2 cut offs open? I was too carried away with my school assessments that I forgot to apply for round 1 offers. What are the chances of me getting accepted if I run with round 2? Is it worth the effort, or does UTS take most applicants from round 1?
Majority of applicants are selected in the round 1 interview stage, but as jaydogz said there is still a chance if you apply for the second round. You miss out on all the opportunities you don't take, so definitely go for it. At the very least, it's the experience you gain that'll help you prepare for any application or interview in the future.

It all comes down to how your experiences outside the classroom make you a better potential cadet. Your actual sports performance whilst interesting and says something about character/personality isn't necessarily the key thing they're looking for when they ask about ECs.
This is spot on! Don't just talk about your achievements, rather what you've learned from them.

esaitchkay

HSC
Congratulations to all who received an offer a few weeks back!

A note that Round 2 applications are available for those who didn't apply in Round 1.

In addition, I'm currently doing my placement, so if you have any questions to ask, feel free to PM or post here!

esaitchkay

HSC
Sack this course. THey rejected me. @$$holes
Hey Jbailey,

That's unfortunate to hear - it's a terrible feeling, and I know where you're coming from.
I got rejected from many different firms/programs (some of which I deeply aspired to!) and in hindsight, it was a harsh, but valuable learning experience in perseverance and determination.

The upside is that you can assess where you could potentially make improvements.

Whilst the selection processes in any type of role try to be as objective as possible, there's always a bit of luck involved.
Your non-selection may have been a result of multiple factors, out of your control - you never know.

Just remember to keep trying - it's not the be all and end all.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

esaitchkay

HSC
I heard you just need an ATAR of 95 or above to make it into the degree. Besides the ATAR how do you increase your chances of making it into the degree? If your involved in things like Gold Duke of Ed and Peer Support would it help a lot during the selection process?
Hi Asghar_Joon,

Just to clarify from the BAcc website:

Entry to the Bachelor of Accounting is very competitive and is not based on ATAR score alone.
Selection criteria are as follows:
- A genuine and informed interest in an accounting-based career
- Personal attributes needed to succeed both as a student and in a business career - communication skills, inter-personal skills, team-working skills, problem-solving skills, enthusiasm and dedication
- Involvement and achievement in a range of activities and interests
- Demonstrated leadership qualities or potential
- Academic ability (desirable ATAR: 95)

The selection process involves:
- Online Application
- Interview

As for the extracurricular involvement, it would tend to exemplify the above selection criteria.

esaitchkay

HSC
Heads up to all that Round 2 applications close this Friday, 23 October 2015!

Prouille24

HSC
Hi,

Do you know when they tell you if you are successful after the interview for applications in Round 2 and can gain a place for the program.

esaitchkay

HSC
Hey Prouille24,

I'm not too sure about the admin parts, but I'm sure it'll be a few weeks.

I would have thought that you would have asked/they would have told you about the next steps etc.

Prouille24

HSC
Does anyone know what the lowest ATAR of a successful applicant has been for the program (E.g. An ATAR of 90)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Does anyone know what the lowest ATAR of a successful applicant has been for the program (E.g. An ATAR of 90)
The lowest I've heard from the 2014 group of students was 90. Don't know if it goes any lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)