Bachelor of Pharmacy (off and on campus) (1 Viewer)

wintergate

HSC
N/A
I just checked my online application for off campus study. It seems like they sent out offers. I accepted my offer but it's still confusing as to whether it is a complete offer so i'm gonna make a call.

Anyone else apply here?

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
I applied online some time ago. When I spoke later to the course co-ordinator, she said that she had seen my application, and that offers would be going out like around this week for the pharmacy 2010 distance education program. But I have not received any letter yet as of today

wintergate

HSC
N/A
ok i called up a few days ago, and it appears it was definitely an offer. i've accepted for distance education. This was done through the place where you applied for it. I'll be expecting the letters really soon as i've already enrolled in my subjects.

check yours and let me know if you're accepting =) Oh yeah, about the residentials, theres 2 subjects which are mandatory and 1 which isn't (maths). will you be attending that one?

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
i received my letter offer today (18 Dec) in the post box - postmarked 16 Dec. The only hassle is at bottom of the 1st page - it says " at this time B Pharm degree does not have accreditation from the Australian Pharmacy Council".
Oh dear becos I don't want to do 4yrs then not be able to qualify for the pre-regn yr so as to become a pharmacist.
I will need to contact course co-ord and find out what's going on.
Does it cost anything to accept and enrol ? Or is it free option, and I can pull out later.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
The only hassle is at bottom of the 1st page - it says " at this time B Pharm degree does not have accreditation from the Australian Pharmacy Council".
You will probably find it is pending the first cohort of students to graduate. Many accreditation things do that so they can be sure the students are being taught everything they need to be.

wintergate

HSC
N/A
from my understanding, i believe the university works closely with the board or whatever to quickly get the course approved by the board.

usually what happens is, once you graduate and the course finally gets approved and they missed a few bits, theyll get you to come back to the uni to study the bits taht were lacking (in this case probably dvds) and have exams for that.

i'm pretty sure you can accept the offer without incurring any fines whatsoever. It's just that you'll be taking away someones position if you suddenly decide you dont want to do it.

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
check yours and let me know if you're accepting =) Oh yeah, about the residentials, theres 2 subjects which are mandatory and 1 which isn't (maths). will you be attending that one?
wintergate, i have sent an email to course co-ord to get the latest from UNE. I am hoping to get an exemption for Maths , so hopefully will only need to do chem and biol in sem1, plus an elective which I don't think has a resi.

Geez, I hope that UNE gets accreditated , I have an appln in for Syd Uni as well but (a) the 1st yr intake is 280+ which is enormous, and (b) turning up for 25-30 hrs face time per week looks just too irritating for me.

you may wish to look at
APC
for the 3 levels of accreditation
"Preliminary approval
Preliminary approval is granted to a new school to offer a registrable pharmacy degree program after successful initial evaluation of the school and program against accreditation criteria. Preliminary approval is normally granted prior to, or commensurate with, the entry of the school’s first cohort into the program.
Provisional Accreditation
Provisional accreditation of a new school and its registrable pharmacy degree program is granted after successful review of the performance of the school in terms of its ability to satisfy the accreditation criteria, usually after its first year of teaching. Provisional accreditation will continue until a school is able to achieve full accreditation or, in the event of major shortcomings, until accreditation is revoked. Graduates from provisionally accreditated schools have a registrable qualification.
Full Accreditation..."

there is them a list of each school and what level they are at....

wintergate

HSC
N/A
cant seem to find the link youre talking bout. i'm assuming une is at thev levelprior to prelim accreditation.
fingers crossed we dont waste 4 years of our life like this =\

btw maths intensive schooling is optional. dont think i need it but it might be fun just to go

edit: oops misread you. you should just apply for part time, i think its the same just that you can do it at your own pace as long as you finish it over 8 years.

Last edited:

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
was there any information about whereto stay during residentials?
not in my offer letter .

but I heard you can book through the une website ? otherwise, call une, i am sure they must have a pretty good system to book distance students into college halls. One of them (i think wright college? ) is significantly closer to the lecture halls than others if you don't wnat to walk as far

wintergate

HSC
N/A
oh alright thanks for that. are you flying from sydney or are you driving down when we have our residentials?

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
oh alright thanks for that. are you flying from sydney or are you driving down when we have our residentials?
I have used countrylink train which is OK... approx 8.5hrs . leaves Central ard 930-10am, gets to Armidale 6-630pm ?

btw, i spoke with course co-ordinator who says that UNE and Pharmacy Council still working together to achieve accreditation. My feeling is that being the 1st distance degree in pharmacy is causing some of this delay. Plus maybe the Pharmacy professor has not yet arrived (position only advertised in 2nd half 2009)

I enrolled today as well. Here are my subjects.

2010/S1 BIOL110 Biology I ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

2010/S1
CHEM110 Chemistry I ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

2010/S2

CHEM120 Chemistry II ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

2010/S2

HS322 Complementary Therapies in the Health Care System ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

2010/S1

HSHM212 The Dynamics of Health and Health Care Systems ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

2010/S2

PHAR110 Introduction to Pharmacy ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

2010/S2

PHIL101 Bioethics ARMIDALE OF ENROLLED Enrolled

wintergate

HSC
N/A
i don't think i can handle 8 hours of train so i think i'll fly over lol

heres my subject list:
Semester 1 - 2010
BIOL110
Biology I
CHEM110
Chemistry I
HSHM219
Communication for Health Workers
MATH120
Introductory Mathematical Methods in Science and Economics

Semester 2 - 2010
CHEM120
Chemistry II
HSHM305
The Law, Advocacy and Health Care
PHAR110
Introduction to Pharmacy
PHIL101
Bioethics

i've just noticed my status says "inactive." Does your status say inactive as well?

Last edited:

wintergate

HSC
N/A
anyone else doing this?

i'm wondering whether i should fly or train over. 8 hours ride sounds like hell :(

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
I logged into myUNE and there are 30 people already enrolled in B pharm...and these are all non UAC places . (UAC offers out on 20 Jan ). Maybe there could be a car-pool from Sydney ? Each person has their UNE email address listed.

Train ride of 8 hrs is really not too bad....but not sure how to get to uni from Armidale station at 630pm apart from calling a local taxi.

For those really keen the 1500 word essay topic for Biol 110 is available . Choose either cell apostasis & cancer , or climate change effects on animal species .

wintergate

HSC
N/A
whered you find these assignments? i clicked the assignment link and nothing shows up

gtred

HSC
Do you know how many students they are taking this year?

okimura1170

HSC
N/A
30 were enrolled a week ago for off campus, UAC on campus offers went out today. I think they are targetting 40 on campus. ATAR cutoff was high at 88 (I think)

wintergate

HSC
N/A
I got an offer from on campus pharmacy but i'm not gonna take it.

i also got my uac letter and the rest of my offers have a H next to it.

does that mean, i could've got it if i put it in preference no.1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)