Bachelor of Pharmacy (1 Viewer)

mrh94

HSC
I'm thinking about about applying for a Bachelor of Pharmacy at the University of Sydney, and I'd just like to know if you needed to complete UMAT for it?
I know the ATAR is 85, which is surprisingly awesome...
+ Can I have your thoughts on Pharmacy? (opportunities, income etc)
Thanks!

such_such

HSC
There's no UMAT. And they've axed the STAT as well so there's only ATAR.

Mind you, the ATAR went lower because there's an oversupply of Pharmacists. And unless you have a family job or guaranteed that you'll get a job, being a Pharmacist is risky I've heard. Someone who graduated from the Bachelor of Pharmacy told me never to choose this course. It's also very science-based. But maybe it'll be different for you?

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
Yep agree with above.

Didnt know the ATAR has dropped so much but I'd assume it has due to the oversupply of pharmacists which has made it very difficult to get a job and thus the ATAR has dropped. Also heard that apart from being harder to get a job they also dont get as much as they once did.

Also its very important that you like science

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
1. There is a severe oversupply of pharmacists in Sydney.
2. UTS has introduced a whole cohort of pharmacists (stupid UTS).
3. Pharmacy is an extremely difficult course with poor return and limited job prospects unless you are very good.

Source: My sister is from the USYD 2011 Pharmacy cohort.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
1. There is a severe oversupply of pharmacists in Sydney.
2. UTS has introduced a whole cohort of pharmacists (stupid UTS).
3. Pharmacy is an extremely difficult course with poor return and limited job prospects unless you are very good.

Source: My sister is from the USYD 2011 Pharmacy cohort.
I tell my mother this and she doesn't believe me...According to her, as long as you have the qualification, you could just open your own place or something -_-

Bianca Laurens

HSC
I think a lot of the kids who go in and do pharmacy these days operate under the notion that they will open their own place up

It wouldn't be a field I'd recommend anyone to go in.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's some regulations on where you may open a pharmacy in that it cannot be within a certain vicinity of another pharmacy. Sydney has pretty much clogged itself up with all the pharmacies that you pretty much can't open a new pharmacy in a location where you will actually get a decent amount of sales.

Bianca Laurens

HSC
There's some regulations on where you may open a pharmacy in that it cannot be within a certain vicinity of another pharmacy. Sydney has pretty much clogged itself up with all the pharmacies that you pretty much can't open a new pharmacy in a location where you will actually get a decent amount of sales.
Very true.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Pharmacy chains such as Chemist Warehouse have also driven down prices for medicine across Sydney so your smaller pharmacies are finding it difficult to compete. Furthermore, there isn't a 1:1 movement of pharmacists from these firms to the bigger chains as they have utilised economies of scale to reduce the number of pharmacists they need in-store.

So essentially, the graduate market is over-saturated and the number of positions in Sydney is actually declining.

HSC
Pharmacy: either become a shopkeeper or hit the big pharmaceuticals...where you are competing with many MANY pharmacists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)