• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

backups (1 Viewer)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
what a centralised and localised backup?

(saw it in 2002 HSC)

Ditzy_Ezza

HSC
hmmmmm i'm not sure what hey mean all i know about different back-ups are incrimental, full back-up and partial back-up sorry i can't help

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hmm...It might mean that the backup files are stored onsite

Ditzy_Ezza

HSC
oh i got a brainwave literally i bit of lighting struck my head and now i think i know what it means.

Ok well looking at the question with it referring to having a network drive rather then a local driver to store data files, i'm pretty sure centralised back-up is referring to that on a network everything gets backed-uptogether and there is no missing a cartain file because everyhting on everyones computer is being backed-up, but with localised that just means that only data files on your stand alone computer have been backed-up.

Well i think thats it anyway if u can understand any of it i' not even sure i can :S feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
localised is where the backup is done on the node set up by the user after being issued with a backup policy.

centralised is where the backup is done by the network administrator on the server(s)

Truly_bored

HSC
i'm still confused about the different types of backup???
They all seem similar but wat is it that really distinguishes them from the other???

Incremetal
Partial
Full
Anymore?

chris42

HSC
Incremential is basically only backing up the modified files for the day, full is backing up all files regardless of whether they had been modified. Partial I thought is the same as incremential

Winston

HSC
Incremental also known as Partial explained

full backup

and also differential backup

puffkenny

HSC
There's also differential backup where all the modified files and newly created files since the last FULL backup are backed up.
Difference to incremental, incremental backs up all the modified and newly created since the last FULL and INCREMENTAL backup.

I'm not entirely sure about this, may be mr Andrew_Blackwel can back this up

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
archival backup/full backup
A type of backup in which all files are copied to a backup storage device. Archival backups are also called full backup. Contrast with incremental backups, in which only modified files are copied

cumulative incremental backup
The backup of all data files that have been modified since the last archival backup.

diffirential incremental backup
The backup of all data files that have been modified since the last incremental backup or archival backup.

incremental
Any backup in which only the data objects that have been modified since the time of some previous backup are copied. A collective term for cumulative incremental backups and differential incremental backups.

Last edited:

puffkenny

HSC
oooo, ok so differental backup is a type of incremental backup i see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)