Badly scaled subjects = 94? (1 Viewer)

gm

HSC
My friend is doing rather badly scaled subjects, she's i guess a medium-level student, but has potential. This girl is in year 11 at the moment as is aiming for economics or commerce at sydney university - 94ish i guess.

This girl does:
Standard English
General Maths
Economics
Business Studies
Ancient History
German Beginners

This girl works both weekend days, and thursday nights.
Would you agree with me on thinking that she should only work one shift per week? Should she pick up Extention History in Year 12? What do you think of her chances? Any advice?

Thanks so much!

gm

HSC
No, that's probably not possible. You see she's from a different country, she's ok with English but i don't think she has the confidence nor will her teachers let her change...

Do the teachers HAVE TO let her change??

gm

HSC
ESL scales a little better than standard.
I won't be able to get her to change to 2u maths.
Changing to Adv Eng might be possible.

What kind of marks do you think she'll need?

How much should she be studying, keeping in mind she's in year 11?

Twintip

Have a play around with Lazseeker when it's back up to get an idea of what she'd need in each subject. It will be calibrated to the 2001 results if it hasn't been updated to include last years results too, but it'll give you a rough indication anyhow.

She should definitely go for a UAI of 95 but if she doesn't get it tell her there are a million-and-one ways in the back door at Uni. :)

Originally posted by Twintip
Have a play around with Lazseeker when it's back up to get an idea of what she'd need in each subject. It will be calibrated to the 2001 results if it hasn't been updated to include last years results too, but it'll give you a rough indication anyhow.

She should definitely go for a UAI of 95 but if she doesn't get it tell her there are a million-and-one ways in the back door at Uni. :)
i got 86.60 and i did senior science, sor2, agriculture, general maths, standard english and business studies- i only got one band 6, but if the girl can get 3/4 band sixes she should get what she needs

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by gm
This girl does:
Standard English
General Maths
Economics
Business Studies
Ancient History
German Beginners
Economics, Business Studies and Ancient History can potentially scale extremely well. Standard English isn't that bad, but it is a lot easier to perform poorly on (in terms of a scaled mark). General Maths has such poor scaling (the top scaled mark for General Maths was 88.8 compared with the top 1% of Advanced Maths with 92.2) that it isn't really worth doing, as courses in university that require Maths all require at least Advanced Maths. And German Beginners scaled quite well last year. Just my opinion!

Twintip

If she's from another country she should think about doing whatever language she used to speak (if it is German, why not do German Continuers or whatever it is?). I know because she's lived there for ages they'd probably make her do something harder but it still might be worth considering (I don't know much about HSC languages sorry).

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Open high school for german continuers, is that possible? :D

I agree wholeheartedly about doing advanced english, should just encourage her to do it. And as of general maths, i recommend moving up to 2unit maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)