• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

basics help (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
Ok i should really know this, its one of the fundamentals i keep forgetting...

if you want to translate "the park is dirty"
is it...
こえん は きたないです
or
こえん が きたにあいです
?

when describing a noun (subject of sentence) do you use wa? or ga?

P

pLuvia

It doesn't really matter which one you use, but for the second one the "dirty" is kitanai as in the same hiragana as the first one

jazzmuzik

HSC
thanks, only a couple of replies but hey thats all i wanted. :)

btw pLuvia, yeah i meant to spell them the same...

yinyin

HSC
N/A
hm...
i could normally use ha...
but i thought we can also use ga to emphasis~

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
jazzmuzik said:
Ok i should really know this, its one of the fundamentals i keep forgetting...

if you want to translate "the park is dirty"
is it...
こえん は きたないです
or
こえん が きたにあいです
?

when describing a noun (subject of sentence) do you use wa? or ga?
は and が are perfectly fine. But meanings are still a little different. The way I learnt was how emphasis is done:

わたしはティ*です。 <---- I am *Tim*. (For example, during my じこしょうかい).
わたしがティ*です。 <---- *I* am Tim. (For example, somebody asks ティ*さんは*れですか?).

While not always correct, look at it such that when using topic marker は, the information provided after is more important, and when using subject marker が, the information provided before is more important.

So, for your sentence the only difference it'll make is in context.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
My old japanese teacher (who was japanese) told us that が is much more specific than は

For instance
かおりさんが好きです = I like Kaori. (She's the one for me!)
q. かおりさんが好きですか =Do you like Kaori?
a. えぇ、かおりさんは好きですがはるかさんも好きです = Eh, Kaori's cool but I also like Haruka
公園はきたいです= the park is dirty.
公園がきたいです= the park is the dirty thing (say from a list of parts of a city, the others are clean.)

Unless you're trying to be a japanese wizard and use exciting language forms and features of japanese, stick with は as the subject marker and use が for potential form. eg "can you play the guitar?"

Which brings me to another interesting point. the difference between ことができる and ~える for potential. The same japanese teacher told us that while this isn't assesed in any way in the syllabus it will make you sound more fluent to native speakers later in life.

the ~える topic is used for transitive verbs only. ie. play the guitar, I can play the guitar. Not なおれる (can get better by itself, from なおる). This refers to things you can physically do (or someone else). Kinda like that thing in english "Could you pass the salt?" ; "I could, but I won't =P"

ことができる is more about being able to do things, not so much physically though. The only way to explain it is by example. テレビが見えません = I can't see the Tv. Physically there might be someone in the way, you might've gone blind. テレビを見ることができません = I can't watch tv. Maybe you're grounded from watching tv, maybe you're too busy at the moment, perhaps you'd wake somoene up if you did. You are physically able to, but you can't. They most always translate the same into english (and the context tells us which), but not in Japanese

Kinda confusing, but pretty interesting stuff :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)