Bcom or Actuaries (2 Viewers)

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Both actuaries and a bachelor of commerce allow me to enter the finance industry specifically investment banking. However, would one over the other make me stand out against other people? If I do a bachelor of commerce I will go to USYD as I have been given a conditional mySydney offer and will get 8.5k per year. On the other hand, if I do actuaries I will probs go to UNSW cause it 1/2 unis that offers it in the first place and I will be getting $ 2.5k per year for my degree.

idkkdi

HSC
Both actuaries and a bachelor of commerce allow me to enter the finance industry specifically investment banking. However, would one over the other make me stand out against other people? If I do a bachelor of commerce I will go to USYD as I have been given a conditional mySydney offer and will get 8.5k per year. On the other hand, if I do actuaries I will probs go to UNSW cause it 1/2 unis that offers it in the first place and I will be getting $ 2.5k per year for my degree.
neither gives a very good chance of getting into ib

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
What degree would u suggest then? Because with BCom I was planning on majoring in math and financial stat. So if that’s wouldn’t give be a decent shot idk what will

idkkdi

HSC
What degree would u suggest then? Because with BCom I was planning on majoring in math and financial stat. So if that’s wouldn’t give be a decent shot idk what will
math/financial stats is in bsc, not sure how you would do that in a bcom. In any case, if you want a decent shot at IB, make sure you have a degree that stretches to 4 years or maybe more. 3 years is too tight to make a strong enough resume for IBs imo.

the traditional degree would be law/bcom, majoring in finance with maybe some accounting units. otherwise, having some sort of cs/maths/stats to supplement finance could be good.

in any case, making ib from any degree, especially bulge bracket, is extremely difficult.

tikkamassalawarrior

HSC
typical high school kid discovering what investment banking is for the first time

kids like you are hilarious

K2Trappy

HSC
math/financial stats is in bsc, not sure how you would do that in a bcom. In any case, if you want a decent shot at IB, make sure you have a degree that stretches to 4 years or maybe more. 3 years is too tight to make a strong enough resume for IBs imo.

the traditional degree would be law/bcom, majoring in finance with maybe some accounting units. otherwise, having some sort of cs/maths/stats to supplement finance could be good.

in any case, making ib from any degree, especially bulge bracket, is extremely difficult.
I am also interested in IB and I was looking at actuary/law but then I don't understand why law is useful for IB over Bcom?

tikkamassalawarrior

HSC
mb bro next time ill track ur IP find ur high school and call them to ask ur graduation year, is that better?
if that works then i guess? i don't know?

maybe don't be so stupid next time

you're definitely making it into investment banking bro keep up the dream

idkkdi

HSC
I am also interested in IB and I was looking at actuary/law but then I don't understand why law is useful for IB over Bcom?
bcom finance/accounting things are probably more directly relevant to work you'll do in IBs. law is useful in the sense that it's proof that you can tough your way through a harder degree, and are able to write/read/communicate well. wrt work, it could come in handy, but at junior levels you might just be stuck on modelling.
Yeah double degree with Bsci
ye it'll give you a shot. keep in mind that everyone who does a commerce degree probably wants ib, and among them there's a few hundred comm/law students. and in total, there's maybe 100 ib spots in sydney which people from other states will also apply for. and with many spots having some sort of diversity/nepo element.

tikkamassalawarrior

HSC
bcom finance/accounting things are probably more directly relevant to work you'll do in IBs. law is useful in the sense that it's proof that you can tough your way through a harder degree, and are able to write/read/communicate well. wrt work, it could come in handy, but at junior levels you might just be stuck on modelling.

ye it'll give you a shot. keep in mind that everyone who does a commerce degree probably wants ib, and among them there's a few hundred comm/law students. and in total, there's maybe 100 ib spots in sydney which people from other states will also apply for.
"stuck on modelling"

why are you speaking out of your ass?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)