• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BCom or Economics (what's the dif)? (1 Viewer)

randommegaloman

HSC
I'm putting in my preferences for university and was wondering what the difference between a bachelor of commerce and economics is?
Obviously you can do different majors etc. in both, but is one considered broader/ less directed towards entering the workforce immediately afterwards?

HSC
N/A
well in a B.Eco you will have to major in Economics, whereas in a B.Comm you have the option of majoring in a number of things (usually including Economics, but it depends on the university)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
inaccurate info, please ignore..

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
from what usyd lecturer said the B.eco is more focused on one area than commerce which is more broad.
the unsw open day lecturer last year spent about 20 minutes explaining how people with B Eco get paid more than people with B Comm.

its now 1 year later i dont remember anything else he said (other than his pronunciation, eee-conomics rather than ec-onomics) but there ya go, thats all i know

akqjt

HSC
You should check the university's website for the differences.

At UNSW, it used to be that BEco and BComm were exactly the same, but it was compulsory to do a major from the Economics faculty if you did a BEco. Now from what I read they're 2 fairly different degrees - again highlights checking the uni's website.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
They're entirely seperate fields of study.
Economics deals with the big picture of the entire economy and it's workings, particularly the interactions between businesses. Commerce generally gives you the individual skills you would need in the business world in order to run a successful company, such as a knowledge of Finance, Accounting, HR etc.
A lot of universities offer Economics as a major with Commerce anyway, which I personally thinks defeats the purpose, unless of course they don't offer BEco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)