Beadle and Tatum (1 Viewer)

ministoj

HSC
Hey , just received a research assignment for bio and one of the questions was :

Analyse the evidence found by Beadle and Tatum by explaining how X-rays can interrupt metabolic pathways.

Now i know my Beadle and Tatum but it just seems to me like my teacher was trying to throw as many dot points and key verbs in the same sentance. The question is confusing and i don't know how to tackle it .

Any ideas ?

Siretlaw

HSC
Well. If you search up Beadle and Tatum, I believe that at least one of them used x-rays to modify the genetic code of a test subject, to prevent a certain protein to be produced.

I think.

Use that as the core. You should relate Beadle and Tatum's results to show how x-ray's can alter genetic code, leading to protein changes, leading to different metabolic processes.

Let me stress, this is what I think, so yeah.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
Beadle and Tatum: Carried out experiments to find a connection between enzymes and genes. They used the bread mould Neurospora crassa as their experimental organism. To obtain mutant forms they exposed the bread mould to X-rays or UV radiation. Each mutant showed a difference in one gene which caused a block at one step in the normal metabolic pathway. They concluded that each gene is responsible for producing a single specific enzyme. UV ray / X- ray apparatus were implemented which caused these scientists to discover gene deformation. This mutation then triggered their further idea for the one-one polypeptide theory.

causes mutation

Siretlaw

HSC
+1 to fullonoob.

What he said is right. You just have to relate their result to the question.

stephenn

HSC
LOL lisa, i googled this and your question come up first haha :p i have no idea how to do it...

Annum

HSC
Hello people, i actually have a homework question regarding Beadle and Tatum's experiments, and I dont know how to answer it, I really hope someone can help me out asap :)
Discuss how Beadle and Tatum’s work showed that biochemical processes that occur in cells are related to macroscopic changes in the organism?

Thankyou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)