• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bear with me. (1 Viewer)

Z

Zeitgeist

At 1:15 this morning, 3 hours and 45 minutes befor eI had to got work, I woke up, having hade about 2 hours sleep, and started thinking about mathematics and English. I was really quite alseep. Regardless! I came up with some good ideas, and had some sort of bright spark to write them down before I went back to sleep. 70% or so is completely illegible, but from what I can gather, here is what I planned:

*My major work would be a story about maths. BEAR WITH ME.
*My major work would contain lots of allusions to maths.
*My major work would contain "platonic taste". Something about chickens. This point is probably ignorable. I think I meant that when something is said to "taste like chicken", that this is an attempt at comparing the taste with a platonic, perfect, taste. Actually, I have no bloody clue. Anyway.
*My major work would be based around a fued somewhere in mathematical history, such as the one between Cantor and Kronecker in relation to degrees of infinity.
*My major work would have to be expressive to the mathematical-mined and the non-mathematical-minded alike.

Now, I haven't really mentioned what the story would be like, or how I would make it interesting or any of that. But perhaps some examples here might help you understand:

So, after all that, I have some questions of you:

Would I be allowed to do a story about maths?
Assuming I tied things in well enough, how do you think the examiners would take it? Would it have to be suited to their level of knowledge or could I truly be very passionate about it as people have said is possible in EE2?

Blah blah. For those interested, the topic would probably be knot theory. Maybe some string theory tied in (haha! Er. sorry. Bad pun). Scientiists aren't very creative with their names, you say? I say who else would be creative enough to give things such mundanely interesting names?

Um. Yes. Discuss. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sure it can be about maths, just relate it to pomo, and its all dandy :D

J

jhakka

What is the huge fascination with postmodernism? It's not that great. :p

I think Sara Douglass' book Threshold is greatly related to mathematics. I haven't read it yet, but my mate said the story was good but the maths confused the hell out of him. Maybe you should check it out.

zerzillia

"a beautiful mind" would help if that's what you plan to do......

i say it's a great idea, go for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)