• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Benefits of radioisotopes in medicine? (1 Viewer)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Refering to the syllabus dot point "Use available evidence to analyse benefits and problems associated with the use of radioactive isotopes in indentified industries and medicine"
This is asked in out first assessment task, and I'm not quite sure where to find information, and exactly how to question should be answered. I have lots of info for industry, but I really dont have anything on the benefits or problems of the use of cobalt-60 as a mean of radiotherapy. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction, or give me a few ideas of their own?
Thanks in advance

*sarah*

HSC
It is pretty hard to find info about this.
In the simplest terms the benefits are obviously to do with destroying cancerous cells while the disadvantages are to do with the possibility of destroying healthy tissue

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
maybe magazines / newspaper sayin when radio therapy go wrong???

jamesy_1988

HSC
think about what could go wrong in radiation therapy. Kill cells that are not supposed to die, muatation and the list goes on

Jamesy

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Thanks for your help, I think I'll start with that and see if there's maybe journals as xiao suggested.

HSC
oo just to add to that, you could look up specific isotopes used in medicine to see if advantages & disadvantages are included like cobalt-60, technetium-99m or even iodine isotopes.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Interview

Why do we use technetium-99m ?

So we can treat brain tumors, check for damage after heart attacks and it's used to treat bone diseases.
Next time you walk by a horse stable with a radioactive symbol sticker on the door, chances are the "radioactive" horse as been administered technetium-99m to treat the poor fellow's bone problems.

What's it's half-life ?

6 hours

Is technetium-99m harmful ?

Like all radiation from radioactive decay, it is harmful regardless whether you use it for diagnosis or the assassination of a Russian Spy (not by technetium-99m). But technetium-99m emits low level gamma radiation so it can be detected by a gamma camera.

But is a 6 hour half-life a little to short ?

It is in fact too short, but it must get to the patient somehow in a useful dose.

Where does it come from ?

It decays from molybdenum-99, it has a 66-hour half life. The reactor at Lucas Heights is the one that makes molybdenum-99.
The facility stores molybdenum-99 in a container, which is called the technetium-99m it is then transported to hospitals.
It decays into technetium-99m as it moves on its way to the hospital.

What does the technetium-99m generator look like ?

If you have ordered rice at a yumcha, chances are it is in a container with a handle, smooth and cylindrical in shape. The technetium-99m looks just like that.
In the very core of the generator contains a small vial of technetium-99m covered by thick lead casing.
Two slots are on opposite sides of the circumference of the top of the container.

How to get technetium-99m from molybdenum-99 ?

A light-bulb sized tube is plugged into one slot of the technetium-99m generator, it contains a saline solution, it's basically saltwater.
The salt water runs through the container, through technetium-99m and pumped out into another smaller tube plugged into the container with saline solution containing the technetium-99m. Then all the action with technetium-99m begins.

When do you get rid of technetium-99m ?

When the technetium-99m energy levels become too low for practical use, usually about a week.
The container is returned to the nuclear facility for reacharging.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)