• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

best last (few minutes) rugby league wins (1 Viewer)

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
i thought i'd make this for anyone to tell any stories of games of rugby league that came down to the every last few minutes.

this is a small report on the game i attended on sunday (11/09/05). It was to see who'd contest a grandfinal .....

Reserve Grade game
Picture this:
Before second half the time needs to be fixed. The people had it on 30 minutes (it should have been on 35 minutes). so my mum races up to one of the official looking guys and gets them to tell the box people to fix the time.

2 minutes to go the game is almost finished. The score is equal 26-26. it can go either way, but we thought the Foster team were gonna get a try. Dean Anderson drop kicks the ball towards the goal and it sails between those two glorious white poles. the score is now 27-26 (our way). The Eagles manage to keep Foster from scoring. We win and are into the GRAND FINAL against Taree next week.

Think about how much the crowd was pumped then. And we still had 1st grade to go.......

First grade game
Picture this:
A game which decides who goes up against Taree next week in the Grand Final.
It looks like Old Bar are going to win because the score is 30-26 (Old Bar way). And there is only 15 seconds to go. It gets down to 14 seconds and Shea Moylan dives over the try line (practically on the side line) to equal the score 30-30. The crowd goes absolutely wild!!! The buzzer sounds - the game is finished. The kick for goal still needs to be made. Scott parker, the kicker, sets up the ball (near the side line). He boots it up into the air and it sails between the goal posts. A goal for camden Haven at the end of the game - making the score 32-30!! We win the game and are into the Grand Final!!!! The reserve grade footballers and the general crowd run onto the field crowding around our grand-finalists the MIGHTY MIGHTY EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Bulldogs at Newcastle last season. Beats that game to a pulp.

davo_

good kid
HSC
Was beaten by a point in a Grand Final a couple of years ago by an after siren goal. Was a sorta intermediate kick, but he really should have landed it like he did... couldn't be ucked writing all about it though..

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
LMF^^ said:
That waz the 2002 season I think, best game I can remember.
You sure? I can't remember the date too well, it was the one where El Masri converted from the sideline. So good.

yoyoagogo

Destiny 06
HSC
2002 sounds right- I think it was the last game (or there abouts) before their Salary Cap rort got exposed

Bookie

Banned
HSC
It was the last game before their scandal.

Umm, the Sharks behind 12-13 in last years Jersey Flegg GF, then kikcing a field goal to makeit 13-13. Golden point extra time. Disallowed try to Sharks (you cant use video ref in Flegg, otherwise it was a cler try), Rorts kick a field goal. Sharks get jipped again.

yoyoagogo

Destiny 06
HSC
Bookie said:
Umm, the Sharks behind 12-13 in last years Jersey Flegg GF, then kikcing a field goal to makeit 13-13. Golden point extra time. Disallowed try to Sharks (you cant use video ref in Flegg, otherwise it was a cler try), Rorts kick a field goal. Sharks get jipped again.
Remember watching that last year- Cronulla was very unlcuky there, it was Jamie Soward who got us that Penalty Goal. Won Premier League too, just a shame about that last game...
It's impossible to go past Newcastle v Manly in the ARL Grand Final 1997, with Albert scoring with seven seconds to go for the best last few moments in a game

davo_

good kid
HSC
Yeah that Newcastle one is great, gives me goosebumps watching that one...
The thing about video ref in flegg is a bit stupid - at least for the G/F... I realise during the season it might be a bit trickier- but at the grand final surely since you've got the equipment there you may as well use it if it's going to make things fairer.

rewster

HSC
there are a few exciting ones: the penalty try in the 1999 GF between the Storm and the Dragons; the Mark Coyne try in game one of the 1994 SOO series; the Matt Bowen try in game on of the 2005 SOO series; Shannon Hegarty's try for the Roosters in 2003 against the Raiders; I hate to admit it, but Luke Rooney's 2nd try in the 2003 GF.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
newcastle was the best i have ever seen - the camden haven one was the best i've ever being to.

seven seconds and darrne alberts dives over the line. for the under-dogs to win a grandfinal like that was amazing.

i must admit i am a little bias - i'm a newcastle supporter, LOL

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Round 25, 2004. St George Illawarra Dragons vs Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, at Oki Jubilee Stadium.

Raining all day ... terrible conditions for league. It was the last home game that Tingha, Kite and Riddell (later it became Withers' last game as well) were to play in the Big Red Vee.

The Dragons played their worst 60 minutes of the season, the Sea Eagles somewhere near their best. With 20 minutes to go, Manly led St George Illawarra 34 - 10.

At 34 - 10, and standing behind the goalposts waiting for a Luke Williamson conversion attempt, Shaun Timmins tells the players to have pride in the jersey they are wearing. Some typical Tingha magic followed, and in one of the freakiest quarters of a match seen all season, the Dragons came storming home to win 36 - 34. Justin Poore scored the 34 - 34 try out wide, with Mark Riddell slotting the conversion 5 metres in from touch with two minutes to go. On the siren, Manly made a half-break down the line, but Donald dropped the ball.

Dragons won.

I would talk about the Swannies on Friday, but that's not rugby league, eh? :p

Notable matches from 2005:

Round 3. Bulldogs 36 vs 37 Tigers . . . Tigers leading 36 - 18 with about 12 or 13 minutes to go. Anasta inspires the Dogs to draw level 36 - 36 with 90 seconds to go. A Dogs error, and Scott Prince, as cool as you like, slots the ball in between the sticks for a field goal as the siren sounds.

Round 6. Knights 26 vs 30 Warriors . . . Newcastle, led brilliantly by Joey Johns, skip out to a 26 - 6 lead. Joey goes off with 25 minutes to go, Warriors scored five second half tries, including the sealer to Francis Meli in the corner with five seconds to go.

Round 7. Knights 20 vs 24 Bulldogs . . . Dogs leading 24 - 8 with 20 minutes to play. Knights come storming home to 24 - 20 down. The final siren sounds. Knights throw the ball around. Kurt Gidley looks to make a half-break, and after the ball goes through hands, it seems certain that the Knights will score to draw level and perhaps win the match. Luke Patten comes up with one of the tackles of the season to snare victory for Canterbury, snapping a four-match losing streak.

Round 7. Roosters 24 vs 26 Dragons . . . A game which hung in the balance for the majority. The Roosters had the ascendancy in the first half, and led 18 - 6 before a comical error from Walker and Minichiello resulted in a Hornby try on halftime for 18 - 12. Dragons put all the pressure on in the second half, and hit the lead 20 - 18 with 20 to go. Wes Naiqama attempts to trip Minichiello, changing the flow of the game, as the Roosters travel the length of the field off the penalty and score a try to go ahead 24 - 20. With 8 minutes to go, Roosters' forward Anthony Tupou drops the ball with the line wide open. In the 77th minute, with the score still at 24 - 20, Dragons halfback Mathew Head performs one of the greatest individual acts of the season as he chips and regathers from his own 40 metre line, before rifling a 20 metre pass to Cooper on his left. Cooper runs down the sideline and scores two metres in from touch, to lock the scores up at 24 - 24. From the sideline, and on his wrong side, Head drills the conversion and gives Dragons a 26 - 24 victory - taking them to 2 wins and 5 losses. The Dragons never looked back from this season-turning point.

Round 9. Sharks 28 vs 24 Warriors . . . the Sharks took their home match to Perth, where they started strongly. However, the Warriors came back hard to lead 24 - 16, and then 24 - 22. In the final minute, Adam Dykes slices open the Warriors defence to score the winning try, the siren sounding as he gets up to celebrate.

Round 16. Panthers 24 vs 28 Knights . . . Panthers lead 24 - 22 with five minutes to go. Newcastle have lost their first 13 matches of the season. A Clint Newton try and Joey Johns conversion with 3 minutes to go gives the Knights their first victory of the season.

Round 18. Panthers 16 vs 12 Sea Eagles . . . One of the worst matches of the season saw Manly leading 12 - 10 with two minutes to go. A fifth tackle bomb by Penrith bounces. Paul Franze picks the ball up and hurriedly bombs crossfield in hope. Ball bounces a couple of times again before Luke Priddis picks it up and dives across in the corner. Victory to Penrith.

Round 19. Roosters 22 vs 24 Warriors . . . Warriors have tries disallowed throughout the match in one of the most blatantly one-sided refereeing performances of recent times. Down 22 - 8 after 52 minutes, the Warriors put everything behind them and orchestrated a great fightback, with a 71st minute try to Hohaia enough to see the Warriors through.

Round 19. Sharks 30 vs 26 Knights . . . Golden Point try to Vince Mellars (on debut) gifts victory to Cronulla in a match where momentum shifted every couple of minutes.

Round 21. Sea Eagles 24 vs 26 Cowboys . . . Cowboys leading 18 - 6 at halftime and doing it comfortably. Manly hit back strong in the second half (a half in which Ty Williams scored a 109 metre try) to score through Hicks in the 77th minute, seemingly giving Manly a much-needed win. Controversy surrounded the kickoff, but Cowboys regathered before a Firman grubber was brilliantly reeled in by Williams inches from the touchline, scoring his third try of the afternoon and steal victory away from Manly as the siren sounded.

Round 24. Panthers 22 vs 20 Broncos . . . Broncos hit their now customary end-of-season slump, while Penrith were playing to keep Finals' hopes alive. Leading 14 - 8 but trailing 20 - 14 with five minutes to go, the game looked lost for Penrith. However, a double to Franze inside the last 4 minutes (the last try with 49 seconds to go) gave Penrith an unlikely victory over the then first-placed team.

Round 25. Sea Eagles 20 vs 22 Warriors . . . Sea Eagles looked to have the game wrapped up with five minutes to go, but a Stacey Jones try gave the "little general" a fitting finale to his NRL career.

Cityboy

HSC
Eels VS Tigers at Parramatta stadium in 99 or 00, Parra lost by a point after Schfoskie missed a goal from the sideline after full time

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i think it was 03 where the roosters lost to the bulldogs after that utai try. Video ref couldn't see the offside that necessitated a penalty to the roosters. great game though.

Mike iE

HSC
Bulldogs vs Parra in 98. Dogs down 18-2 with 10 minutes to go, score 3 tries to get to 18-16. Halligan lands one from the sideline to level it up. Pollamounter attmepts a field goal from 45m out and it falls just under the cross bar. Then we finally cross for a try to send parra out and make the GF

ledzeppelin

HSC
Bookie said:
This match came to mind immediately when I saw the topic.
That was an awesome game.
The try Ale scored on the back of some Soward brilliance was awesome.
Soward chips and regathers, then with defenders converging on him, flick-passes the ball to Ale, who runs through to score.
Not to mention Soward's two forty-metre field goals.
Soward better replace Finch next season :vcross:

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
We Are The (camden Haven) Eagles, The Mighty Mighty Eagles

ADDITION AT 20/09/05: found out today it has being fifty years since camden haven had won a premiership, back then it was known as laurieton eagles, or something.

The local team's (Camden Haven Eagles) Grand Final was today. We had 18's, reserve grade and first grade through into it. A history making achievement!!

Unfortunately, 18's lost 22-20
Reserve Grade won 49-22
First Grad won 31-22

I'm happy coz my brother and cousin played First Grade. And my brother's girlfriend's brother playe in Reserve Grade.

Congratulations to any sides that win their Grand Final

Last edited:

Cityboy

HSC
Eels Vs Warriors 2004 at Ericcson, Parra were down by 14 with 8 minutes left and then won by 2 points thanks to 2 Vaeliki tries and 1 Vaeliki assist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)