• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Big readers - what was the book that got you really into reading? (1 Viewer)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Ive always read but it wasnt until I read "Raise High the Roofbeam Carpenters / Seymour: An Introduction" by JD Salinger that I realised what literature could really do.

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
I don't think there *was* one book, for me. I can probably point out various books and series in different genres which pointed me towards that genre, but I've always been a "big reader".

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
the narnia books are the earliest "big people" books i can remember reading. i would have read them when i was about six or seven. i don't think i understood them but i started going through the rest of the books on my parents' shelves instead of my own because i liked them so much.

but my favourite book is and always has been peter pan. i don't remember reading that for the first time, it's always been there.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I've read from a young age so i cant remember anything that really DREW me into reading. I spent all my primary school days in the local library for 3 hrs after school until my parents picked me up and read just about everything lol. My first "favourite" book was "Matilda" though and for anyone who has read it, it's pretty self-explanatory in terms of a love of reading :p

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
This is sad, but in year 3 my Godmother bought me "Just as Long as We're Together" by Judy Blume for my birthday and I LOVED it. From that moment on I became a tragic bookworm.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
At the very start, like in primary school, Emily Rodda's Rowan books were a favourite of mine. And Gillian Rubinstein's Space Demons series were good as well. In high school I read Eddings mostly.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
This series called Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar. I prob won't recommend it to guys..but it is seriously addictive.
And I guess Wuthering Heights was also pretty interesting...maybe the most interesting book I had to read for school

sladehk

le random
HSC
The Giving Tree
A simple but though-provoking simple children's book

sladehk

le random
HSC
ohhh! i nearly forgot. i used to be really into a serioes called Goosebumps!

ishq

brown?
HSC
It was The Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew.
I was never into Enid Blyton though....
And John Marsden, Robin Klien, Gillian Rubenstien and Charles Dickens in Year 6.

I never liked Roald Dahl.

;)

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens has got me into reading again, particularly Victorian Literature. The "Classics"

[trent]

HSC
John Marsden's 'Tomorrow, When the War Began' series...started reading them when I was in year 4

J

jhakka

I'd been reading since Year 1, but the first real adult series was David Eddings' The Belgariad. I had been reading a bit of everything before then, though. I read The Lord of the Rings in Year 5. :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i have only started to read a lot (for novelty that is) just before christmas this year. i think Silmarillion made me start to read.. and the harry potter books :)

I think i will start reading the books by Matthew Reilly. lots of people i know seem to enjoy the books by him.

mahuligan

HSC
goosebumps!! i used to love those stupid books...haha they had names like 'be careful what you wish for'
but i was a librarydork before that, i just cant remember any of the books i first read.
The very first book i had an unhealthy obsession over though was the first harry potter books..it was the end of year six and everytime i saw a cat i thought cit was going to tell me that id been accepted into a witch school.

librarys are my candy store :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)