BIO1001 - concessional pass? (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM, sickness during semester / misadventure was one of the cases that I was thinking about when I said case-by-case.

In general terms, I agree with you - in fact, I think that passing the exam itself should be a requirement to pass the unit of study, but I don't get to make policy (which is fortunate for some - there are some cases I have seen where I wouldn't have been as flexible as the academic in charge was.) The philosophy behind removing PCON is (in a lot of ways) about clarifying the line, but there are broader issues. A fail in a Sem 1 unit can badly stuff up someone's degree progression, and Gov't pressure means that completing in the 'normal' amount of time is favoured.

Here's a hypothetical for you: Student in a unit of study with a prac component, who passes the exam (just), and ends up with 49 overall, because they missed 4 lab sessions. If they had only missed 2, and got the marks for attending the other 2, they would've got 50. What do you do? Do you fail them? Now, suppose that the unit of study also runs in Semester 2 - do you consider as an option granting them a grade of INC (incomplete), and saying if they make up the missed labs in Semester 2, they can get a 50P, and otherwise a 49F? Do you make them redo all of it in Semester 2? Would you want to know why the labs were missed before making a decision? What would you do if you were the academic in charge? (PS: I've seen a situation like this come up.)

Xiao1985, speaking as someone who was not happy about an 84D in a unit where I thought I deserved an HD, I can confirm that HDCON does not exist. :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i know most ppl who fail didnt really put in as much effort as they could have, especially in first year subjects. I've had a lot of friends who have failed, and most of them admit that they didnt do enough work to pass. With Prac classes, i mean they are easy marks, you just have to to turn up, and do as you are told.
Admitedly there are people whos circumstances make it difficult, and thats what special considerations is there for, but i manage to pass well while holding down two jobs and spending 15 hours a week travelling, so its just a matter of managing your time well.
Some people need to fail something before they realise this and give themselves the kick up the bum they needed!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
CM_Tutor said:
KeypadSDM, sickness during semester / misadventure was one of the cases that I was thinking about when I said case-by-case.

In general terms, I agree with you - in fact, I think that passing the exam itself should be a requirement to pass the unit of study, but I don't get to make policy (which is fortunate for some - there are some cases I have seen where I wouldn't have been as flexible as the academic in charge was.) The philosophy behind removing PCON is (in a lot of ways) about clarifying the line, but there are broader issues. A fail in a Sem 1 unit can badly stuff up someone's degree progression, and Gov't pressure means that completing in the 'normal' amount of time is favoured.

Here's a hypothetical for you: Student in a unit of study with a prac component, who passes the exam (just), and ends up with 49 overall, because they missed 4 lab sessions. If they had only missed 2, and got the marks for attending the other 2, they would've got 50. What do you do? Do you fail them? Now, suppose that the unit of study also runs in Semester 2 - do you consider as an option granting them a grade of INC (incomplete), and saying if they make up the missed labs in Semester 2, they can get a 50P, and otherwise a 49F? Do you make them redo all of it in Semester 2? Would you want to know why the labs were missed before making a decision? What would you do if you were the academic in charge? (PS: I've seen a situation like this come up.)

Xiao1985, speaking as someone who was not happy about an 84D in a unit where I thought I deserved an HD, I can confirm that HDCON does not exist. :)
I would entertain the scenario, then fail them. If they've waited till AFTER results have come out to justify why they missed the labs, then I'd think that he/she is a bloody idiot. It's pretty well drilled into us at the beginning of semester that you don't miss labs/tutes, and if you do, you tell someone important, get something signed, get something in writing helping you out. If there's a valid reason, I'm sure the uni would have measures in place to deal with this AT THE TIME of the missed class, not a month later after exams.

If you come after results are out to clarify some marks, it makes you seem like you didn't give a crap about the course until you failed.

However, if they were physically unable to get a message/note of some description to someone in a position of authority, then I would consider the case. So if they came up to me, and asked for some assistance, I would only provide it if they were unable to ask for it beforehand.

Uni's meant to be a training ground for the workforce (ideally), and it's a place where you have to take responsibility. Letting people be lazy and lax won't help them in the future, they need to learn, and a fail is a damn good message.

Admittedly I may have missed some exemptions, but this should apply in general.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Fair enough - you'd take an (absolutist) hard line. That is a defensible position, but it would also mean you would have to deal with a lot of student opposition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)