Biopolymer - PHB (1 Viewer)

schooly

Hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone has or know where i could get some good info on the biopolymer PHB. for example, advantages and disadvantages.
Thankyou

kini mini

HSC
Hi Schooly

You will find plenty of information on this in textbooks such as Thickett's Chemistry Pathways 2

SoFTuaRiaL

try BoS !! :D
actually, if ure lucky enuf to live close to sydney uni, the fisher library has heaps of good info ....

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i found surfing chemistry quite useful for those type of questions, it has a 1 page essay on analyse and justifaction of PHB (Biopol), otherwise, just use the internet for the most recent developments of biopolymer.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by Da Monstar
try BoS !! :D
actually, if ure lucky enuf to live close to sydney uni, the fisher library has heaps of good info ....
Whats this? Is this a Sydney Uni promo? And u call yourself a UNSW rep. :grinshak: :p

Derchun

phb notes

hey i've got some notes on phb which are taken from an example exam anwser so they are pretty comprhensive.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Poly ((Beta)-hydroxy-butanoate), is a polypropylene like biopolymer, that is biodegradable. Advantages i guess is that it's biodegradable, and maybe the disadvantages is that polypropylene is more of a petrochemical substance, and its more economic, since it's using crude oil.

PHB can be used for disposables, like nappies and packagings, and also for medical and hospital utilities.

a culture of microofganism of Alcaligenes eutrophus is fed with nutrients, but limiting one of them so they can't reproduce. It will then attempt to store it's nutrients in the form of PHB. It can produce30 - 80% of its own dry weight. Then the organism is harvested and the PHB separated.

I hope by typing that I also get to remember that better in my brain :D

schooly

thanks all for your help,
and btw Derchun that was a good document of the Q/A for PHB and was wondering if its not personal or anything if i can get copy of the entire document and not only the PHB question for revision for my mid year next week? :)
Thankyou

Derchun

sorry schooly

sorry schooly,
i've just typed up a few notes on the larger questions from individual example answers that i've got. when i get some more i'll post them up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)