biopolymers (1 Viewer)

Nelly_04

HSC
hello

does anyone have any info about the biopolymer PHB, or know of a useful website about biopolymers? (this is for the assessing progress and development of a biopolymer dot point.)

Thanx

abdooooo!!!

Banned
lol... i need help with that :(

here is what i got:

Poly(hydroxybutanoate), PHB
PHB, a stiff, brittle plastic with similar properties to poly(propylene)
Formed from the monomer hydroxybutanooic acid
(Alcaligenes Eutrophus), the organism used to synthesise the material
Maurice Limoigne first produced PHB in 1925
Produced in a lab by feeding bacteria a diet rich in nutrients
Bacteria stores PHB as energy source
In the 1980s the three genes needed for the production of PHB were successfully cloned and transferred into E. coli
E. coli, a common bacterium which was well-researched, reproduced quickly and had an easily manipulated physiology
Cargill Dow have transporting the PHB gene into corn and maize plants and allowed crops of PHB-producing plants to be grown and harvested (cheaper)
PHB at present is more expensive to produce than conventional plastics
Price gap is becoming smaller with conventional plastics
Advantage of being biodegradable, thus allowing better waste management
Its renewable, unlike fossil fuel
No potential in places where biodegradability is not needed i.e. pipes
PHB is non-toxic and can decompose in the body, allowing medical application
Potentially successful for use in plastic bags and containers where biodegradability is welcomed

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
And that's not enough? WTF

Just turn that into an essay and you'll get full marks :D

Nelly_04

HSC
thanx heaps ! that was really good info.

one more question, is biodegradibilty one of its properties that is related to its use?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Nelly_04
is biodegradibilty one of its properties that is related to its use?
biodegradibility can be one of the properties of usage if, for example, it is used in sutures to heal wounds (it will degrade inside the body).

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
holy shit, abdoooo, dat's alot of info... but bear in mind dat u only need to know as far as the syllabus asks u... extra info prolly wont' get u extra marks... and at certain stages, it might be dangerous, as if the marker doesn't know it, nor can s/he find it in the text book, then it might be marked as wrong, even tho it is perfectly right...

aprt from that, i really like ur research on PHB... i researched a bit as well for the hsc, but no where near as comprehensive... ^^

Beats

HSC
Wow Abdoooo... It sounds like you've really got it together! Do you go through writing ur notes according to the syllabus after you've done each one in class?
Generally, when writing notes, i stick to the textbook, but there is always a risk of it not addressing the point well enough. What do other people generally do?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Beats
Wow Abdoooo... It sounds like you've really got it together! Do you go through writing ur notes according to the syllabus after you've done each one in class?
Generally, when writing notes, i stick to the textbook, but there is always a risk of it not addressing the point well enough. What do other people generally do?
hence my first post after his :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Nelly_04
hello

does anyone have any info about the biopolymer PHB, or know of a useful website about biopolymers? (this is for the assessing progress and development of a biopolymer dot point.)

Thanx
there is also some in the conquering chemistry text book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)