• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Blue J ?! (1 Viewer)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
ok so I need to d/load BLUE J for Object Oriented Programming! I downloaded it - but when I try to open it - it says that I need to have either JDK or J2SDK installed! I searched that through yahoo - and tried downloading it - but for some reason it says like its gonna take 2 hours - WTF!? Am I downloading the right thing?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yes, you need the JDK to run BlueJ. It's the Java (J2SE) framework which includes all the standard libraries and classes that you will need (and BlueJ needs them to run too, since its a Java program). It is around 50MB, or 100MB if you download the NetBeans IDE with it too (which you won't need at the moment; might be useful for OOD though). So yes, it might take 2 hours on 56k, lol.

Download it from Sun's website, http://java.sun.com . You can download the 50MB file using a download manager, so you can take your time downloading it.

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
what programs do you need for 'programming fundamentals' again?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
nuffsaid said:
what programs do you need for 'programming fundamentals' again?
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003. You can borrow the CDs from the IT Technical Support desk on level 3. It is freely provided by Microsoft to any students studying IT at university under the MSDNAA program. It is 6 CDs all together (though the last 3 is documentation which you don't have to install if you don't want too), so you'll need around 1-3GB of space on your computer. It is also recommended to have at least 512MB of RAM as well.

S

Shuter

jasee said:
...or you swap into my class online :p
They're all full except for the 4:30 ones now. I'm in group 02 at 3, but I don't know which staff have which.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Shuter said:
They're all full except for the 4:30 ones now. I'm in group 02 at 3, but I don't know which staff have which.
Yeh, I'm taking one of the 4:30pm ones, either tutorial 4 and 5. I wanted to take tutorial 2 or 3, but the other 2 tutors are :p.

What do you mean by helping classes Sasha?

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Shuter said:
Didn't you even listen in the lecture!
Yeah, I reckon :p

There was that chick with the PhD, some other dude, Er himself and Jase. Were there more? They all sound good to me though so as long as it isn't boring and they're helpful I don't mind who I get.

S

Shuter

ragnarok said:
Yeah, I reckon :p

There was that chick with the PhD, some other dude, Er himself and Jase. Were there more? They all sound good to me though so as long as it isn't boring and they're helpful I don't mind who I get.
They sound better than Bee Bee at least.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you go into UTSOnline and have a look at the discussion boards, there is a forum for each of the 5 tutors, so you can find the names there.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Shuter said:
They sound better than Bee Bee at least.
Rofl. I was about to say something but then remembered Jasee saying sometimes some of the staff read the forums :p

Man, I tried to look if we had any homework and stuff for ISP, and the part for Course Documents is so screwed..some of it doesn't make sense, no/little grammar, no logical structure etc. e.g. Some headings will be in large font and bolded whilst the next one which is of similar structure isn't. The font will be of a different colour too and its hard to distinguish one thing from the next because it just flows on and isn't separated.

We've only had 1 lecture for each and I already know which one I hate :p

Edit: Oh yeah, that's where I saw all the names again - on the discussion boards.

S

Shuter

ragnarok said:
Rofl. I was about to say something but then remembered Jasee saying sometimes some of the staff read the forums :p
Me too but then I remember my extreme hatred as she has moved me from the 12:30 tut I was enrolled in online to the 3pm one because I didn't sign some confirmation form she passed around in the lecture, which I hadn't heard about at all. She also sent an email of which I had a whopping grand total of 2 days to reply to but only found out yesterday which was too late.

My question is why did she need confirmation that we wanted the tut which *I* had chosen online, yet she needed no confirmation to move me to a different timeslot.

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
i have the same problem shuter
got allocated to 12:30 tute then bee bee chua put me into the 14:00 slot

:mad: :mad: :mad:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
nuffsaid said:

dont worry she put me there alwell, now doesnt that make everything better knowign that i am also in yuor tut :D

S

Shuter

nuffsaid said:

Who are you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)