Books (1 Viewer)

prazo94

HSC
Since Uni's starting on the 25th feb(well only lectures)
should I wait till the unit guide(which has the recommended books?) has been released for me to buy the books
or should I do what people are doing now and just buy the books straight away 2nd hand? (the problem with this is the editions could change so you could be spending money on an older book and then buying a new book :L)

prazo94

HSC
How useful do you think books are?
I'm doing accg100, acst101, stat170 and econ110 for the first sem....

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
Yeah i'd really like to have some books by now but the whole getting the right edition thing is a bit of a restriction. Anyways Prazo, lectures start in a couple of days so i guess there wouldn't be too much harm waiting until then.
Also i'll see you in accg100. (Y)

Proteus

HSC
I did ACST101 in S2 2012, didn't buy a book and passed the course with a Distinction grade

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yeah i'd really like to have some books by now but the whole getting the right edition thing is a bit of a restriction. Anyways Prazo, lectures start in a couple of days so i guess there wouldn't be too much harm waiting until then.
Also i'll see you in accg100. (Y)
I don't get why you guys are worried about the editions... the co-op textbook list that i provided above shows you the correct edition...?

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
I don't get why you guys are worried about the editions... the co-op textbook list that i provided above shows you the correct edition...?
Oh no you're right May cat, I was just more referring as to whether it would be possible to get a later edition.. because i'd rather not pay an extra $100 for a new book as opposed to a slightly older edition.

Chopper_261087

HSC
I always make sure i've at least read the required reading before going into the lecture, but with subjects that are formula heavy like ACST101, I didn't need it. In saying that I would never have passed my STAT170 test (got a Credit in the end) without my textbook.

If there is a lot of theory behind the subject (Econ111, Stat170) then I would recommend buying the textbook. Accg100 and Acst101 are very process heavy and repetitive though, so you could probably get through without needing them.

In terms of the editions, read the unit outline for how the tutorial questions will be delivered. Usually the most drastic change in the editions is the questions at the end of each chapter, but apart from that it's more or less word for word

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)