BPsych (hons) at MQ or USYD? (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
I really want to do Bpsych (hons) but don't know which uni would be better.
I know that Usyd requires a higher ATAR (95) than MQ (94) but by one mark really; and given my current results and performance, I'm not extremely concerned about the ATAR requirements.
But what uni is overall better for studying psychology (honours)?

quickoats

HSC
Whichever you prefer. I have heard good things about the MQ Psych program.
Note that honours isn't guaranteed (even though it's listed in the degree). You will have to meet certain academic criteria regardless.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think there would be a considerable difference between USyd and MQ. Both degrees have a relatively high ATAR requirement, so it would be safe to assume that both universities will have high expectations from you as a student. You will be studying a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) at either university (i.e. the same degree), so what will matter more in that case is your results as well as GPA/WAM throughout your time at university. Other factors to consider include non-academic ones, such as which university would be more convenient in terms of transport, as well as which university has a better mode of delivery (if applicable).

Good luck with your applications! I hope this helps! 😄

laterz laterz

HSC
I really want to do Bpsych (hons) but don't know which uni would be better.
I know that Usyd requires a higher ATAR (95) than MQ (94) but by one mark really; and given my current results and performance, I'm not extremely concerned about the ATAR requirements.
But what uni is overall better for studying psychology (honours)?
Considering their rankings and prestige, there would be a huge difference as USYD would be far better. But I've heard many things about how toxic the culture is at USYD so surely take that into consideration. But yeah, if u were to talk about employability, USYD would surely be way better.

quickoats

HSC
Considering their rankings and prestige, there would be a huge difference as USYD would be far better. But I've heard many things about how toxic the culture is at USYD so surely take that into consideration. But yeah, if u were to talk about employability, USYD would surely be way better.
Big nope.
In terms of Psych, the most employable degree is the one that allows you to have the best chance at doing honours/masters. Since there are very limited spots in Psych masters degrees, any grad is VERY employable. Note that is is a grad of a 6 year program, not just the 3 year initial degree (which there are lots of).

Ranking is based on research output by academics which has little to no bearing on your undergraduate goals. As a high school student it can be easy to value perceived "prestige" but that shouldn't be the key determinant of your decisions.

zizi2003_

HSC
Big nope.
In terms of Psych, the most employable degree is the one that allows you to have the best chance at doing honours/masters. Since there are very limited spots in Psych masters degrees, any grad is VERY employable. Note that is is a grad of a 6 year program, not just the 3 year initial degree (which there are lots of).

Ranking is based on research output by academics which has little to no bearing on your undergraduate goals. As a high school student it can be easy to value perceived "prestige" but that shouldn't be the key determinant of your decisions.
That's true.
I initially had USyd in mind because of the whole 'prestige' thing but after the MQ Open Day i'm probably steering a bit towards MQ...
thanks for your input!

zizi2003_

HSC
usyd is ranked higher for psych
most employers go off the qs rankings, which are here https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2021/psychology
for psych, usyd is 30th, whereas macq is 74th in the world
unsw is actually 24th if you're basing your decision off of rank in psych alone
but yeah i would say go with usyd :)
that's a good point!! :)
i would've chosen UNSW but the atar requirement is like 98 lol 😭 i'll probs just wait for my atar..

Nikolerak

HSC
UNSW is the best in Sydney for psych.
I hope you are aware that you will have too complete additional 2 year master to be eligible for registration as a psychologist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)