toknblackguy

HSC
hey
what sortta job prospects am i looking at with this course
and what sortta starting pay?

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
It's so general and since there are many majors to choose from... um... you might end up doing anything. The pay depends on how u went in uni and what sort of things u r majoring in.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmmm... Sydney Uni.
Done first year bio, chem, physics, maths, will prob do microbio, molecular bio, phys, maths.
First semester bio was apparently HSC revision (which I haven't done though), and second semester revolved around dealing with body systems, either human or general. I preferred the individual project we got to do in advanced.
Physics was highly lecturer dependant in terms of quality (assuming of course you go to lectures). Mechanics, thermal, waves, chaos, then fluid, EM, quantum. Basically stuff in introduction to next two years.
Ditto chem, but I did make my own compound then found out what it was.
IF you're doing maths here, beg for either Choo (normal stream), or Kuo (adv).

There were also stuff on the side (from TSP) that got me interested.
CUDOS in physics was working towards a photonic chip, like our computer chip, except with light.
We also had a first semester project on salinity problems/solutions from different faculties, which was interesting, except question time when a Nobel laureate started quizzing all of us on details *panic*.

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
was it professor jerome friedman? =p yeah, the cudos stuff look really mad... but the chem/bio aspects interest me more.
how are the lectuers? apart from maths (which u have discussed)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
havn't met jerome yet...

As for the lecturers in these...
There is one lecturer appointed for each topic area, and mostly just the one stream. All the lecturers put up notes, but the degree of completeness will vary.
Physics: Good at explanation, some are excellent (Peter Robinson, Tim Bedding), a few rather vague, downright boring. There are tutes that'll help what you don't understand in lecture.
Bio: ditto, but no tutes. There will be problems at some point when you hit a topic you really can't be arsed to learn, let's say, mechanism for energy and elcectron transfer in photosynthesis with Dr. Monotone. Beware seat if you're prone to falling asleep though. Also, beware propaganda, e.g. on bio as a legitimate science. :p
Chem: A couple cool ones that do irrelevant but visually/audibly/aromatically appealing demos. Everyone we got were at least 'okay' grade. Tutes exist.

All the lecturers will be willing to help out when you see them during consultation times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)