Cadetships/Traineeships- which uni? (1 Viewer)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
case88 said:
well, as it so happens i'm planning on working in the Tax and Law department of Ernst & Young *sighs*. the damn firm is so confusing
My apoligies I should of checked this earlier.

I work in tax at EY and there are quite a few people doing double degrees, including one person at UNSW.

She had the same problem as you with the whole enrolling full time and only doing two subjects thing. It was worked out relatively easily, it just involves a quick phonecall with the uni. There are not too many hassles.

Hopefully the contract you received set out the logistics of the double degree trainee program.

If you have any questions just let me know, I check this site whilst at work every now and then.

Other than that, see you soon.

case88

HSC
Hey Meads, thanks, i also talked to the people at UNSW and they said it was fine, but i'll probably need some help during enrolment (i'm a sheep, really)

the contract i received outlined the workings of the single degree program (cos at the time i hadnt decided that i was going to do the double degree... or even that i'd get into it), but i called Gina (recruitment lady; d'u know her?) and she said that they quite encourage double degrees.

lastly, are you enjoying the program... is it worth the extra year? (i mean, i've decided that i'm gonna do it, just wanted to know ur thoughts?)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hey,

does anyone know what work duties to expect if u work as a cadet in tax/business services line at a small CA firm?

anything you can prepare before starting?

konstantine'

HSC
Hey seremify007, do you know anything abt the ICAA requirements @ UNSW? I came across this site

http://www2.accounting.unsw.edu.au/nps/servlet/portalservice?GI_ID=System.LoggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_ProfessionalRecognition

It says something about having to do certain courses within a B Comm degree in order to apply for CA program after I graduate. Judging from the list, I figured I can do most of them if I did double major in Accounting and Business Law (which stinks cause I wanted to do Accting and Int. Business). But there's a Finance course on the list and I dunno how I'm supposed to fit that in. It says something about "If you are unable to fit these courses in as part of your degree requirements, you may have to enrol in additional classes as non-award". What is non-award? And do you guys know anyone @ UNSW whose intending on doing their CA but ISN'T doing an Accting and Business Law double major (in B Comm)?

I posted the same question on O-Week forums but no reply yet so thought I'd try my luck here.

kow_dude

HSC
seremify007 said:
I recommend you sign up for the flyhigher.com.au newsletter (it's organised by the ICAA)- this will keep you up to date on the happenings/events and provide you with relevant articles to read when bored.
Don't tell me you read accounting newsletters during leisure time....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
konstantine' said:
Hey seremify007, do you know anything abt the ICAA requirements @ UNSW? I came across this site

http://www2.accounting.unsw.edu.au/nps/servlet/portalservice?GI_ID=System.LoggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_ProfessionalRecognition

It says something about having to do certain courses within a B Comm degree in order to apply for CA program after I graduate. Judging from the list, I figured I can do most of them if I did double major in Accounting and Business Law (which stinks cause I wanted to do Accting and Int. Business). But there's a Finance course on the list and I dunno how I'm supposed to fit that in. It says something about "If you are unable to fit these courses in as part of your degree requirements, you may have to enrol in additional classes as non-award". What is non-award? And do you guys know anyone @ UNSW whose intending on doing their CA but ISN'T doing an Accting and Business Law double major (in B Comm)?

I posted the same question on O-Week forums but no reply yet so thought I'd try my luck here.
Non-award means you pay full-fee for the course, but it doesn't count toward your degree (however, it does appear on your academic transcript).

You can do CA req'd subjects by doing Acct/Finance or Acct major/Biz Law minor, but other than that I don't think you can fit everything in (the 4 LEGT and FINS1613)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
case88 said:
Hey Meads, thanks, i also talked to the people at UNSW and they said it was fine, but i'll probably need some help during enrolment (i'm a sheep, really)

the contract i received outlined the workings of the single degree program (cos at the time i hadnt decided that i was going to do the double degree... or even that i'd get into it), but i called Gina (recruitment lady; d'u know her?) and she said that they quite encourage double degrees.

lastly, are you enjoying the program... is it worth the extra year? (i mean, i've decided that i'm gonna do it, just wanted to know ur thoughts?)
Yeh Gina is groovy. You will probably do alot with her next year, helping her recruit the next years intake.

I do enjoy it very much, I work with good people and have a good time. I learn alot, dont get overworked, and get paid for it all.

It is certainly worth the extra year, it is invaluable experience, and very handsome on your resume.

What division you going into? You may remember me, I did a speech at one of the information nights.

case88

HSC
Meads said:
Yeh Gina is groovy. You will probably do alot with her next year, helping her recruit the next years intake.

I do enjoy it very much, I work with good people and have a good time. I learn alot, dont get overworked, and get paid for it all.

It is certainly worth the extra year, it is invaluable experience, and very handsome on your resume.

What division you going into? You may remember me, I did a speech at one of the information nights.
i'm gonna be working in Human Capital (it comes under tax and law or something like that? )

P.S. i couldnt actually go to any of the info evenings but i'm sure i'll see you later in the year

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
kow_dude said:
Don't tell me you read accounting newsletters during leisure time....
Why yes I do! >_>

Seriously it is good to subscribe to that newsletter.. keeps you up to date (since it only comes like once a month?) on the upcoming recruitment events and closing dates. I remember it informed me about the ICAA cadetship evenings a couple years back. Also gives you a bit of an idea of what to expect from cadetships/vaccy work/etc... and something to talk about in the interview.

Last edited:

pmtruong

HSC
hi all im starting with deloitte and also goin unsw. i thought id share the timetable that wood allow us to go there once a week. It currently includes qma but we can drop that after we get the concessioon card which will aloow us to have one massive 2-8 tuesday. Most firms allow half a day off...im lett of at 1 oclock for this. So enrol asap be4 spots run out..cya nex yr!
Hi proo enjoyin ur holiday...ill be in asia in 3 days! How dodgy is unsw being with their commerce cutooff...marked up by heaps!

Tuesday
2-4 Acc 1A lecture
Lecture S1 2184 C Open 45/350 Tue 14:00 - 16:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

4-5 Acc tutorial
Tutorial S1 2210 T16C Open 1/25 Tue 16:00 - 17:00 (Wks:2-6,7-14)

5-6 Micro tutorial
Tutorial S1 3278 578 Open 7/21 Tue 17:00 - 18:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

6-8 Micro lecture
Lecture S1 3199 E Open 21/180 Tue 18:00 - 20:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

Thursday
5-6 Quant A tutorial
Tutorial S1 3328 526 Open 2/25 Thu 17:00 - 18:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

6-8 QMA lecture
Lecture S1 3300 C Open 23/200 Thu 18:00 - 20:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

If u think this may be too hectic...remember that most lec and tut are availbale on podcast anyways so u cood use the day u save to listen to those insted. Any questions jus message me...before 8pm saturday tho.

mattchan

HSC
I don't remember having podcasts for Micro and Accounting lectures at New South. Tuts definitely don't either.

Conspirocy

HSC
never had a pod cast for macro, accounting, or qma, qmb

had a couple for business law subjects

i've heard of people asking the lect to put the lecture online...they very often say no

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know some lecturers record but never bothered to listen... if I cbf to attend a lecture, I probably cbf to download and listen to it without the visual stimulus.

drmix

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
I know some lecturers record but never bothered to listen... if I cbf to attend a lecture, I probably cbf to download and listen to it without the visual stimulus.
agreed. plus could u sit there and concentrate for 50mins listenin? ull probably get distracted...or press pause and never return to it ;)

cerene

procrastinator
HSC
woah!

so if we enroll 3 subjects this semester that considers us as full time and then after we get the concession card we can drop one subject and therefore we become part time and yet we still get to keep the concession card?

man thats a great idea. i think i might do that too. =D

hey is QMA supposed to be econ1202? ive got the thursday lecture too =D

konstantine'

HSC
cerene said:
woah!

so if we enroll 3 subjects this semester that considers us as full time and then after we get the concession card we can drop one subject and therefore we become part time and yet we still get to keep the concession card?

Yes and yes

c0okies

HSC
cerene said:
woah!

someone's excited ;)

cerene

procrastinator
HSC
ehehe finding loopholes in the system is always fun

im starting my cadetship on monday =S

goodluck everyone!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
cerene said:
ehehe finding loopholes in the system is always fun

im starting my cadetship on monday =S

goodluck everyone!
Have fun! I wonder how many firms started already.. in my year, generally speaking, the smaller/mid-tiers tended to start sooner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)