Caesar's role in the first triumvirate? (1 Viewer)

Mother Man

HSC
hey guys, i have an essay question on Caesar's role in the first triumvirate and I've already discussed how he acted as an arbitrator between Pompey and Crassus, who both hate each others guts and I've talked about Caesar acting as a diplomatic operator, fulfilling the desires of both Crassus and Pompey in order to keep their loyalty by dividing provinces, fulfilling their laws e.g. tax rebates and Caesar handing his daughter Julia in marriage

is there anything else i'm missing? seems like too short of a list, mind you my essay is already 1500 words but i'd like to expand it more

Charlton735

HSC
yer i need help with stff like that, my wuestion is "explain the formation of the 1st triumvirate between Pompey, Crassus and Caesar in 60BC. How did it helps diminish the power of the senate?" you got any brief notes my 2000 word essay due next week, have yet 2 start.. cheers..

with caesar though you could talk about hoe he was an disciplined planner and a realist not an idealistic dreamer, how he had the vision to start this triumvirate... i dunno he also benifitted the most with his campaign in gaul and all.. wb asap

Simo Warn

HSC
Caesar used the first triumvirate to his own advantage to gain the consulship which he had been covetting for many years. With the 3 most powerful men in Rome banded together for a common cause the senate lost an immense amount of power. If you need an example of this look at the election day for the consulship where the forum(?) was surrounded by pompey's veterans and Crassus' money bribed voters into swaying towards Caesar.

Unlike the second triumvirate which was a constittuional agreement, the first triumvirate was a private agreement to help the three men gain what the senate had denied them. After dealing with Bibulus, caesar was sole consul and so enacted all the triumvirates laws by forcing them through the senate, dealing with any senator or tribune who opposed him.

Might help a little

simplyyme

HSC
Caesar also needed the triumvirate in order to gain consulship as well as gain a proconsular imperium/command ( i think it was Pompey who had granted him a 5 year extension of his proconsular position in Gaul - as he needed it to remain there so he couldn't be prosecuted, before he could return and go for another consulship), which he needed to avoid prosecution for he's crimes in 59BC.

i think what i said is right , if it isn't I'M SO SORRY, this topic isn't one of my strongest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)