California to be Bankrupt by February (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
California will be out of money by February as huge debts mount

CALIFORNIA, one of the 10 largest economies in the world, will run out of money by February, causing "financial Armageddon", according to dire new budget projections.

The state's debts are mounting at a rate of $US1.7 million ($2.5million) an hour.

The de facto insolvency of the most populous US state -- home to such economic engines as Silicon Valley, the Central Valley agricultural region, Hollywood, Napa Valley, the Long Beach ports and the defence research and production facilities of Los Angeles, San Diego and the Mojave Desert -- would represent a new scale of catastrophe in a year that has seen financial markets and economies across the world implode.

Treasurer Bill Lockyer has said that $US5billion of public works projects, including road and school construction, will have to be cancelled because the state's lenders are worried about an impending Iceland-style bankruptcy. California -- which has a GDP of $US1.7 trillion -- already has the worst credit rating of any of the 50 US states. He says "without a budget solution, state financing of infrastructure projects will stop".

For California's Republican Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, the crisis represents a humiliating final act to his second term. Mr Schwarzenegger, 61, came to power in 2003 because of an almost identical financial calamity, which resulted in his Democratic predecessor, Gray Davis, being "recalled" from office.

At the time, he promised an end to California's tax-and-spend policies and runaway expenses, yet over the past four years of his administration the state's budget has grown by 40 per cent to $US144.5 billion. After the housing crash, recession and credit crunch, the state can no longer afford this with tax collection.

As the crisis continues and California's credit rating deteriorates, the cost to the state of borrowing keeps rising -- a process that could ultimately lead to bankruptcy.
Mr Schwarzenegger is proposing the same kind of emergency tax rises that in 2003 turned Mr Davis into a pariah. He has suggested a 1.5 per cent increase in sales tax -- the equivalent of Australia's GST -- and a tripling of the car tax. When Mr Schwarzenegger first ran for office, he did so on a promise to a revoke a similar car tax increase proposed by his predecessor.

Republicans in California's legislature have refused to go along with the proposals and Democrats have refused to cut government programs, hence the stalemate. Mr Schwarzenegger has declared a "fiscal emergency" to keep California's legislature in session until a solution can be found. "When you have a crisis, the most important thing is to make a decision," said a clearly frustrated Mr Schwarzenegger atapress conference yesterday.

He presented an electronic display showing how much the deficit is growing in real time: $US470 a second, $US1.7 million an hour, $US40 million a day. He put it outside his office in Sacramento to get the state's legislators to reach some kind of agreement.

California's biggest problem is the precipitous decline in tax revenues over the past year. By far the most tax revenues come from new property sales, and these have all but dried up. Many home owners who bought during the bubble years are successfully appealing against their property taxes, arguing that the value of their homes is less than they were when they purchased them.

Tax revenues have also been hit by the global recession.
Seems the US can't get a break at the moment.

Whilst I can't realistically see California going bankrupt, it's a pretty sad state of affairs to see that it has reached this point and still nothing has been done to fix it. More handouts needed to keep something else afloat.

Arnie doesn't look like he'll be remembered well. :(

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24792678-401,00.html

zstar

HSC
N/A
Why do you care so much?

So many children are starving in this world who cares if a bunch of over spoiled yanks can't buy Xbox 360 or IPhone?

blue_chameleon

HSC
zstar said:
Why do you care so much?

So many children are starving in this world who cares if a bunch of over spoiled yanks can't buy Xbox 360 or IPhone?
Do you really believe that what happens in the US only affects their country?

California is the 7th largest economy in the world. Think Silicon Valley, Hollywood etc. This might add numbers to those "children starving in the world".

I must say man, i'm really surprised that you cant see the obvious.

Last edited:

zstar

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Do you really believe that what happens in the US only affects their country?

California is the 7th largest economy in the world. Think Silicon Valley, Hollywood etc. This might add numbers to those "children starving in the world".

I must say man, i'm really surprised that you cant see the obvious.

Don't worry about them.

They fall then other nations will pick up the pieces.

Simple as that.

sdent40

HSC
This is all the fault of the la-sey-fair economic policy enacted by their government. Reguardless of this, who will build the roads now?

banco55

HSC
If you think some of our State Governments are fucked up they are nothing compared to some of the American State Governments.

HSC
sdent40 said:
This is all the fault of the la-sey-fair economic policy enacted by their government. Reguardless of this, who will build the roads now?
Err im not sure if you're being funny or not.

But I do think it's hilarious that laissez fairre speaking Republicans managed to get the state into such a hideous position deficitwise.

blue_chameleon

HSC
I think the biggest thing that will hurt them is their credit rating. At least here in NSW, the government sought to protect it at all costs.

These guys have left it too late and now can't save their credit rating. Short-term, the Fed Govt will bail them out, but mid/long-term I can see them paying massive interest on any loans they're successful in being granted.

Banco: It's not that simple in drawing comparisons. NSW and Californian states are on completely different scales in terms of size and revenues/expenses.

banco55

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
I think the biggest thing that will hurt them is their credit rating. At least here in NSW, the government sought to protect it at all costs.

These guys have left it too late and now can't save their credit rating. Short-term, the Fed Govt will bail them out, but mid/long-term I can see them paying massive interest on any loans they're successful in being granted.

Banco: It's not that simple in drawing comparisons. NSW and Californian states are on completely different scales in terms of size and revenues/expenses.
California has two issues that distinguish it from Australian states: lots of illegal aliens who are a drain on the state budget and a whacky referendum system which limits the freedom of action for politicians (ie property taxes can't be increased beyond a certain amount every year which leaves a huge hole in the budget). But otherwise it's not really rocket science. If you have 10 billion revenue and you are spending 15 billion that can't go on forever.

HSC
i dont understand this illegal alien issue. dont they have border police. fuck, its the united states.

banco55

HSC
dont-ban-me-plz said:
i dont understand this illegal alien issue. dont they have border police. fuck, its the united states.
They don't enforce the immigration laws strictly at all because business likes cheap labour and the left likes brown people. The schools aren't allowed to verify a student's citizenship, the illegals flood the emergency rooms and usually people aren't required to prove citizenship to receive state services as that would be racist.

HSC
banco55 said:
They don't enforce the immigration laws strictly at all because business likes cheap labour and the left likes brown people. The schools aren't allowed to verify a student's citizenship, the illegals flood the emergency rooms and usually people aren't required to prove citizenship to receive state services as that would be racist.
oh i see now. yeah i guess that why you cant fucking get cought. LOL @ america.
god bless australia.

zstar

HSC
N/A
dont-ban-me-plz said:
There's a reason for this.

A few years ago they signed an agreement that would end the U.S and usher in a North American Union much like a European Union which means that the U.S is working towards merging with Canada and Mexico.

It is believed that a new currency called the Amero is in works and that the current economic crisis is engineered for this new currency. So by destroying the dollar through inflation the Federal Reserve(America's central bank) can issue these new currencies.

So that's why America's southern border is left relatively open because that's not the southern border. The real border ends in Mexico's southern frontier.

sdent40

HSC
zstar said:
It is believed that a new currency called the Amero is in works and that the current economic crisis is engineered for this new currency. So by destroying the dollar through inflation the Federal Reserve(America's central bank) can issue these new currencies.
but you can just buy TIPS

zstar said:
So that's why America's southern border is left relatively open because that's not the southern border. The real border ends in Mexico's southern frontier.
lol better call up Alex Jones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)