• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Calling on my App Fin + Accg buddies (2 Viewers)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Although I am completing my studies as to satisfy the requirements for the BComm- Accg degree, I'm still enrolled in the App Fin + Accg double. I've been too lazy to transfer.

I have a bit of an urge tonight to complete it as a double degree. So, I was wondering if I can get someone to confirm my plan of subjects with their own.

100 Level 24 cp
ACCG100 (3)
ACCG101 (3)
ECON110 (3)
ECON111 (3)
ACST101 (3)
STAT170 (3)
COMP115 (3)
ECON141 (3)

200 Level 25 cp
ACCG200 (3)
ACCG201 (3)
ACCG250 (3)
ACCG253 (3)
BUSL250 (3)
ACST201 (3)
STAT270 (3)
ECON200 (4)

300 Level 32 cp
BUSL301 (3)
ACCG310 (4)
ACCG323 (4)
ACCG340 (3)
BUSL320 (3)
FIN310 (3)
ECON350 (3)
ECON360 (3)
ACCG329 (3)
ACCG352 (3)

Anything in RED is what I plan to do in coming semesters. By my calculations, I'd need to complete a further 15 cp to satisfy the requirements(Applied Finance and Professional Accounting) as per:
http://handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=FNN01 said:
Requirements

Minimum number of credit points -- 96; maximum number of credit points at 100 level -- 30; minimum number of credit points at 300 level or above designated in the Schedule of Undergraduate Units as commerce or economics units -- 30; completion of the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Applied Finance; completion of the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Commerce -- Accounting; which must include the following approved coherent study:

FIN310 plus two unit from each of the following:

(a) ECON335, ECON350, ECON360

(b) ACCG329 or ACST305, ACCG352, ACCG353, ACST300;

the requirements for the completion of the degree of Bachelor of Commerce -- Accounting as set out in the Bachelor Degree Rules (provided that it does not include any units above 200 level completed to satisfy the coherent study requirements of the degree of Bachelor of Applied Finance), and including the following approved coherent study:

ACCG310, ACCG323 or ACCG321, ACCG340, BUSL301 or LAW406, BUSL320 or LAW503
I can do another two 100-level subjects (assuming 3 cp each) and other 200-level subjects, if I wish as I have already satisfied the requirement for the minimum number of 300-level subjects.

What do others think.

Thanks for looking over this. :)

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
It's a bit late but yes, everything looks right and matches with mine.

Accg301 is an elective, no?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
It is a bit too late. :eek:

I've decided to keep doing the single degree now. :)

By the way, its meant to be ACCG310. 301 doesn't exist.

Edit: Thanks nonetheless. What are you doing this semester?

ReaveR

HSC
redruM said:
By the way, its meant to be ACCG310. 301 doesn't exist.
No wonder I couldn't find it ;p

I'm doing Accg200, Accg250, Busl301 and Econ235.
Basically, I'm taking my time with this uni business.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
200 is interesting, 250 is boring, 301 is enjoyable, 235 is econ *shudders*

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
ReaveR said:
No wonder I couldn't find it ;p

I'm doing Accg200, Accg250, Busl301 and Econ235.
Basically, I'm taking my time with this uni business.
250, lol... the lecturer sound soooo...evil/mean/paranoid ...LOL (I'm doing 251 instead, lecturer more fun and infact his the author of the textbook)

Accg200, which lecture u attend? Yesterday's one or on Thursday?

ReaveR

HSC
Thursday @ 4-5

Edit: Which one are you in?

Last edited:

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Pam Baker?
Wel...I was in yesterday's one...tat guy took it very Serious, and he expect all of us to get in the lecture theatre at 5.55 >.< It's a long walk from X5B. esp when they are fixing the walkways =.=

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah I had Pam.

Not very exciting.. lol.
You should ignore the uptight lecturers.. I think its given that a few people will walk in and out during a lecture, and they shouldn't get so worked up about it.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
LOL, I walked in on time (the clock on the wall can prove...haha) and no body's ready for a lecture yet. But I guess coz i walked from the front doors, so when i pulled out my mobile n tried to switched it on silent...I heard him saying at the same time, if someone wanna talk on phone or sms will have to hand it over to him. Duh, he's so picky :p

ackmon

HSC
is this a good double degree to do? n wat is the rough cutoff uai for it?

Tabris

HSC
If u get 90, theres an excellent chance you ll make it, is the appfin/accg degree good? Well in terms of careers, its excellent , theres always need for accg who have excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills

The econ stuff is interesting but the accg-acst for 1st year is nothing more than crunching the right numbers in the right columns, the economics/commerce/financial studies faculty isnt fun, unless you are really into it. As for stat, boring boring boring, ISYS123 is easy as 123.

It aint fun to have lecturers who are poor lecturers, yes, Chris Searchfield and Samantha Sin aint the best of lecturers (Alex disappeared for 1st years) and Westcott isnt the best person to make finance annuities fun (these will be your finance/accg teachers).

Good chance that msot of your tutes will be filled by some anti-social foreign students (from my experience) and there will also be a good chance that you will have some poor english speaking tutor whose doing there masters (like the crap tutors i had).

In my time in 1st year appfin, i did not have 1 decent tutor for accg/appfin, 1 seemed queer (SUpra knows what i am talking about), 2 asian fobs....make that 4, and an Indian lecturer who knows his stuff but has poor english (econ111 *cough cough*). The only good tutor i had was Edwin Franks, excellent tutor for econ141 and micro.

Now, does that sound fun? You want fun? humanities and scmp sounds nice, just look at Asylum and Glitterfairy and lcf, they seem to be easy going fun types. And if your really really lucky, the heaven's might open up and shine upon you amidst the gloom of darkness or numbers and be blessed with fortune like Skittled.....

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Wel...basically, compare first yr n 2nd yr...2nd yr is *FUNNER* :p

UAI cutoffs...hmm...aren't they going downwards last yr, can't remember n can't bothered checking.
Westcott is ok, i mean, he's getting old, but he's a nice lecture to hav.
Bludging units are: ACST101,STAT170, ISYS123, ECON141 ( u can skip most of 123 n 141 tutes)
Oh yeh wat happen to Alex? Doing roundtrips or something???

But then, if u r not into Accg/Fin~ there's always other interesting courses to do. And u will meet more sociable ppl.

havy

HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
Wel...basically, compare first yr n 2nd yr...2nd yr is *FUNNER* :p

UAI cutoffs...hmm...aren't they going downwards last yr, can't remember n can't bothered checking.
Westcott is ok, i mean, he's getting old, but he's a nice lecture to hav.
Bludging units are: ACST101,STAT170, ISYS123, ECON141 ( u can skip most of 123 n 141 tutes)
Oh yeh wat happen to Alex? Doing roundtrips or something???

But then, if u r not into Accg/Fin~ there's always other interesting courses to do. And u will meet more sociable ppl.
I think last yr's uai is like 86~, and 2004 cutoff is around 89, so...should be around the 85-90 range this yr.

Talking about bludgy subjects, econ141 can be a pain if you do it during 1st semester, because the lecturer is very demanding. econ141 during 2nd semester is a breeze - its taught by different ppl.

Most ppl think acst101 is easy, but there are still ppl complaining about it.

*hopeful*

HSC
only do accounting combined with applied finance if u want to learn about boring economics cuz u'll be doing alot of econ subjects, if ur not interested at all i think u will find it slightly hard

or u can just do accounting on its own, or combined with b business admin(bba), thats what im doing and its all theory/cultural organisation/human resources/stupid bullshit about keeping ppl happy - thats the bba part im talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)