Can anybody help me with a question on King Lear? (1 Viewer)

halo_fourteen

I had my English trials last week, and I got them back on Friday. Because I didn't do very well in the King Lear section, my teacher said I have to do it again!!

I really have no idea!!

The question is: "Compare the ways two scenes could be presented and the way those representations would value audiences"

I don't understand this question.... please help me.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Did your teacher say what part of it you stuffed up? He/she would have some idea of what you could improve, not just 'the whole thing'.... :)

The question is: "Compare the ways two scenes could be presented and the way those representations would value audiences"
This is how I'd approach this question.. which may or may not be helpful :)

Split/circle/highlight/underline the words 'compare', 'two scenes', 'presented', and 'value audiences...' (is that 'be of value to audiences? or is that verbatim?)

okay, so you're comparing, which means (well pretty obviously :) make comparisons between these two scenes. Compare script, character, set, costume. 'Whilst (scene 1) does this, (scene 2) does that, blah blah.

The 'value' part i'm interpreting as family values, generational values, political, power, any of those themes that run throughout Lear. How are the values reflected to the audience?

My dodgy example really sucked so I deleted it.... but if I think of a better one I'll post it :)

Generally if a question says TWO scenes stick to TWO scenes; try to choose two scenes which are related (well, the ones with Lear and his kids are the ones I can think of, or Edmund and his father), and don't just describe the scenes, compare production features. It doesn't hurt to throw in references to versions you've watched either..

If that didn't help, it means I've totally forgotten what King Lear is about. :)

Marianna

Originally posted by halo_fourteen
I agree with anti take two critical scenes one might be the one on the heath second might be... ummm... I dunno the final scene

present an idea of how these scenes could be presented using different drama techniques like costuming, lighting, blocking, characterisation (an easy on to get carried away with so be carfeul), music, sound effects, props, stage dressing, casting even... the compare that with a production you have seen... I've been able to get away with researching a few and talking to different people who have see them... I went to see the one at Bondi by Tanya Denny, thats a pretty easy one to slander but the George Oglvie one is a pretty good interpretation.... John Bell has done a few, Sydney Theatre Complany did a weird one... Nimrod take one or two of those and then compare the interpretation and assess which one was better at getting the point across ie "the way those representations would value the audiences" a good one to look at it Nahoum Tate---> changed the ending so as not too upset the audience.... look at context because as the context changes the interpretation of the play changes... ie a production of 2002 is very very different to one say even 40 years ago in the sixties due to different influences...

really easy to go off on tangents so be careful....

hope that helped.... :p

I don't like the question though... :(

Alex

My trial exam Q for King Lear was very similar. It said to take two scenes and compare and contrast how it is presented by various interpretations.

All I did was talk about the last and first scene and how my two interpretations, (Sydney Theatre Production and Bondi Production Differred and were similar). Well, I didn't get my marks back yet but i'm hoping for at least 75%.

halo_fourteen

Well... I talked briefly about the last and first scenes in King Lear, and about how the Lawrence Olivier version and the BBC version (1991 or 1992? Can't remember) dealt with the themes and how they established different characters, then I analysed the themes myself and spoke about important moments in the scenes and how I would display them in a production, establishing why.

Was this wrong?

Cake

I found that I simply did not answer the question, and it was supposed to be my best essay.

Make sure that you define the question in your opening paragraph so that the marker knows that you understand the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)