can I get an atar estimation?~ (1 Viewer)

Jane Mao

HSC
Hi, just wanted to see where I’m heading with my current results. My goal is 92 which guarantees an entry into a bachelor of commerce at Unimelb, but I’m not sure if I’m gonna get there with my current marks.

I go to a kinda bad school, our rank is usually around 200 but last year was 170 and most of our band 6/state ranks are usually for languages

subject - current rank - band 6 number 2022 - band 6 number 2021
English advanced - 23/43 - 10 - 4
Math Extension 1 - 4/14 - 1 - 0
Math extension 2 - 2/3 - 0 - 0
Economics - 1/9 - 0 - 1
Chemistry - 15/17 - 0 - 0

I’m also a international student so I was wondering if that means I get a lower entry guarantee with some universities?
Thank you in advanced~

SmolBrain

HSC
hey! im not sure about the rankings sorry but i know there are atar calculators online (they aren't 100% real but they give a really good idea) which you can use to see your marks. Also i dont think there is a lower entry guarantee unless your an aboriginal or torres strait islander or you have been disadvantaged.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Given this information, I believe that your current performance is consistent with an ATAR of approximately 89. Your position in Economics and to a slightly lesser extent, Mathematics Extension 1, appears to be favourable, meaning that these two subjects are likely to make a positive contribution to your ATAR. Because of this, you should do your utmost to maintain your ranks so as to maximise your chances of achieving your desired ATAR.

In addition, while your position in English Advanced and Mathematics Extension 2 does not appear to be of a standard as high as the aforementioned subjects, this does not necessarily suggest that your position is unfavourable, although any improvement is welcome as it would increase your chances of achieving your ATAR goal.

Your lowest-performing subject appears to be Chemistry. Given the fact that you are taking 10 units, it is important to focus your efforts on improving your rank in this subject. Doing so will ensure that your progress towards reaching the required ATAR is not hindered by unfavourable performance in a subject which, in your case, cannot be negated due to the lack of backup units.

By "lower entry guarantee", are you referring to a lower chance of being made an offer, or being made an offer with an ATAR slightly lower than that required for a particular degree? As far as I am aware, the fact that you are working towards receiving an ATAR by completing the HSC means that you will be competing for university degree offers in the same manner and under the same criteria as domestic students. Because of this (i.e. because you are applying for standard ATAR-based entry), I doubt that your chances of receiving an offer are lower only because you are an international student, especially if you end up meeting the ATAR requirement for the Bachelor of Commerce.

I hope this helps! 😄

Jane Mao

HSC
Wow these are some speedy replies :) Thank you both so much! Just to clarify, by lower entry guarantee I mean that I’ve been told (by family friends and a random substitute teacher) that “universities will accept me no matter what bc I’m an international student and they want my money”. I see now that’s probably not the case and just some stereotypes made by ppl who probably graduated decades ago. That’s fine fair play is good :D

still, thanks for taking the time to reply and I’ll try to work harder!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)