Can Preliminary knowledge be tested in the hsc? (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
I know maths can have up to 30 percent being tested, but how about subjects such as physics, chemistry, economics and ancient history?

undalay

HSC
not directly tested.
But alot is assumed knowledge, esp the skills.

e.g. the concept of moles; you're not going to relearn it during yr 12 chem. BUT U NEED TO KNOW IT VERY WELL

M@ster P

HSC
how about physics, ancient history and economics?

M@ster P

HSC
hollyy. said:
basic concepts of physics. + converting skills etc.
like what??

also are these easy to pick up or learn

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
M@ster P said:
how about physics, ancient history and economics?
In Ancient History direct content no, unless a topic you did in the Preliminary course overlaps with an HSC topic e.g. studying Persepolis and Persian Society - in theory you would have to cover Persian administrative system in both years but if done in the Preliminary course when studying the possibly function of Persepolis then you wouldn't do the same depth again in Year 12 but would be expected to carry that knowledge across - your teacher should tell you of anything like this. NB The administrative system is also on the HSC course so it isn't testing Preliminary stuff per se but maybe it is taught in more detail there.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's been said but for posterity...
Physics, like Bio, doesn't test you directly on what you learnt, but a lot of the underlying foundations of what you'll learn in Year 12 will be assumed knowledge. So they may test you on something in the syllabus from year 12 that required assumed knowledge from Year 11.

Ancient History, I can't quite remember. I vaguely remember things crossing over (as cem has said), and again there is an element of assumed knowledge, but they can't examinate you on something from the Year 11 syllabus if you haven't crossed over and done the same/similar topic in Year 12.

I see you're in year 11 at the moment, so I wouldn't be too worried about the HSC just yet. Get the best marks you can for Year 11, and it will be a good indicator of what you'll need to improve on in the HSC.

Some hints:
For physics in year 12, keep all of your prac reports. You will be examined randomly on atleast one prac you do.
Ancient History, more of a focus on primary sources. You've learnt the basic stuff in Year 11, Year 12 from what I remember was rehashing that, but substantiating it with primary sources (so historians/pictures/reports from the era you're studying)

Rarely do schools make you do one lot of ancient societies in year 11 and then completely different ones in year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)