can you take a 6 month gap "year" (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for ur reply mate as always.
Just in regards to medicine do you think its a smart idea to repeat year 12 and try for medicine again then?
I never knew that was a thing but apparently it is🤷‍♂️
No worries mate. Just to clarify, I am not referring to repeating year 12. I am referring to completing the HSC and then using the subsequent year to focus on the application for the Doctor of Medicine, instead of completing the first year of a different degree.

However, to answer your question, repeating year 12 is not recommended in most cases, let alone for a purpose such as studying medicine. Entry into medicine is competitive and repeating year 12 places additional burden on the student, especially since there is always a chance (even if low), that they may not be able to achieve a sufficiently high ATAR and/or other requirements (such as UCAT score), in which case they would have unnecessarily wasted a year. Instead, a more reasonable option would be to study a different degree (so as to not waste time) and study postgraduate medicine or, in the case of the person that I mentioned, take a gap year if the student wishes to study undergraduate medicine.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Gap year is great given some circumstances such as waiting for med entry or if you want to go do something else. I'm honestly sure most people can handle straight transition into university, you basically have a 3-4 month break so you should be recharged to tackle uni.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Out of both options of doing postgrad medicine or taking a gap year to focus on undergrad medicine which pathway would be the fastest to get into medicine then? Thanks.
Which is more competitive as well, postgrad medicine or undergrad medicine? sorry if ive asked a lot of questions but thank you for the wisdom once again jimmy
post grad

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah sorry for my mistake lol I initially replied to quoted section of ur answer and then I read it and thought that it sounded like I completely misunderstood you but yeah I just didnt bother to change it so sorry for confusing you I completely understood what you were saying
Would this mean that the person would graduate from the HSC lets say 2023 and then for 2024 they dont do a degree and then take the UCAT or something if its even possible? Or have I misunderstood what people normally do if they take a gap year to focus on the application to Med since im not too sure what its like.
Thank you for the info
I believe that's correct. I know that the person (who completed their HSC in 2022) achieved a sufficiently high ATAR, so I would assume that they sat the UCAT again this year for a better result, and consequently a better chance at admission.

Out of both options of doing postgrad medicine or taking a gap year to focus on undergrad medicine which pathway would be the fastest to get into medicine then? Thanks
If the student manages to receive an offer after taking a gap year, then that would depend on the specific program. If they were to study a Doctor of Medicine at WSU specifically (which is a 5-year degree), then the undergraduate pathway would be shorter than programs such as that of USyd (being a 7-year program) and equal to programs such as that of UNSW (being a 6-year program). However, the possibility of not receiving an offer must be considered as such an outcome would result in a waste of time. Here, the postgraduate pathway would be superior (and potentially shorter) since the student would at least guarantee obtaining a Bachelor's degree prior to trying for medicine.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Ohhh thank you that does make sense. yeah that clarifies/answers all my questions, thanks again.

just my thoughts but gosh 7 years for undergrad med lmao that's insane
No worries, it definitely is a long pathway. Just one thing, USyd's Doctor of Medicine is studied as a postgraduate degree after completing either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science, hence the program names:
  • Bachelor of Arts/Doctor of Medicine
  • Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine
The difference is mainly with the stage at which the offer is made. HSC graduates who receive an offer for USyd's program do so after finishing year 12, which means that they would no longer need to worry about applying once they complete the undergraduate component of the program (i.e. Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science). On the other hand, other students would have to make a separate application for the Doctor of Medicine after they complete their Bachelor's degree.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
oh ok thank you. Ill just make sure that I completely got it so even though its a post-grad degree/program, once you get in with the usyd postgrad medicine program thing that means you dont have to worry about doing the GAMSAT after finishing the undergrad since you already got into this medicine program where you do a undergrad and then right after you do the doctor of medicine as a postgrad degree?
That is correct. :)

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Thanks bro!
I reckon I should take some intiative to google this myself but do you personally know if theres any statistics comparing which method of entering medicine is more competitive than the other or if u just know the answer?

E.g is undergrad more competitive or gamsat more competitive?
I mean I guess the obv answer is they both extremely competitive lol but id like to see the chances
I already told you, it is postgrad

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks bro!
I reckon I should take some intiative to google this myself but do you personally know if theres any statistics comparing which method of entering medicine is more competitive than the other or if u just know the answer?

E.g is undergrad more competitive or gamsat more competitive?
I mean I guess the obv answer is they both extremely competitive lol but id like to see the chances
This is a difficult question to answer with little data (perhaps mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa could provide further insight). Entry as an HSC graduate means that we are looking at a particular number of applicants from a population of approximately 70000 (which tends to be approximately the total number of students completing the HSC each year). This number could be slightly higher to consider those taking a gap year. USyd states that "only 30 domestic and 10 international places are available in these degrees". However, it is not clear whether this only refers to undergraduate admission, or whether the same number of places is made available for those applying for the Doctor of Medicine after having completing a Bachelor's degree.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh yeah another question jimmy, so is the degree you did at WSU a 3 year degree with 4th year optional for honours but you also had the option to transfer to USYD to do ur honours there?

So if you were to list ur degree on a resume or linkedin I assume youd put the duration of WSU as 3 years then separaretly youd put 1 year at USYD for the honours or once you finish your honours the degree will be handed out by USYD despite you doing more of the degree at WSU so like youd get a bachelor of commerce from USYD?

unless ur doing another bachelors???
The degree I studied at WSU was a 3-year degree with no option for Honours. There are some degrees for which WSU does not offer the option of an Honours year. Instead, students wishing to do research in those fields at WSU would study a Master of Research.

I did not transfer to USyd, I first completed my WSU degree, then applied for Honours at USyd in January of this year.

In terms of my résumé/LinkedIn, I list them as two separate degrees (which they technically are), consistent with your first suggestion, as follows:
  • Bachelor of Business (Advanced Business Leadership) - 2020-2022
  • Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) - 2023

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh ok thank you that makes sense, so how long would the bachelor of commerce (honours) be? like would it be shorter or regular amount of time?

Also I notice that UOW and WSU use bachelor of business when UOW used to call their degrees a bachelor of commerce so thats odd but surely they pretty much the same thing or a business degree is more broad?
thanks again mate
If it is studied at one university, a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) would be a 4-year degree, which is the same as degrees such as a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours). However, a 1-year Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) degree is just the name of USyd's Honours year in commerce for students not enrolled in a Bachelor of Advanced Studies. These include external applicants like me at the time (i.e. did not study their 3-year undergraduate degree at USyd) and USyd students who studied a different degree (e.g. a Bachelor of Arts).

A Bachelor of Business and a Bachelor of Commerce are essentially the same degree with different names. Since you read the thread "Commerce/Business differences", see quickoats's post discussing the reason for the different names:

BCom vs BBus comes from the Dawkin's reforms in the 80s where non-university degree granting institutions were converted into universities (like modern day WSU and UTS). Older places maintained the BCom name whereas the newer ones used the BBus name. The name really doesn't matter, although some may think commerce sounds a bit fancier/more traditional.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Do it man

Ur gonna regret not doing it than if u did do it

If u have the means to u should go. But don't just lie around, do something meaningful, study, travel, work etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)