Can't attend unsw open day but i need some answers (1 Viewer)

Catz

HSC
So due to circumstances and the open day is on Father's Day weekend, I really was planning to find some specific detailed answers to these questions to figure out choices which will help me (and others) a lot. These are for medicine,

1. Why does unsw med go for 6 years rather than 5 years like uws
2. Why does unsw course offer hospital experience in year 5 to 6, while uws offers clinical experience in the very first week (is it more preferred to learn theory than practical)
3. Is medical science the only pathway into medicine
4. In year one to six, what do students learn in every year? (Very brief doesn't have to be much)
5. What is the lowest atar to get to have any chance of being accepted (I know it's 96 but the mean is like 99.6 so like are all student that are accepted have an atar above 99. is there any hope for student who attain a 97-98 to be accepted, sorry if I don't make sense for this question)
6. How many positions are available for students to enter medicine as a postgraduate degree?
7. What are the fees
8. How many positions are available for students choosing either bonded or unbounded
9. How many students apply for the program (uws is 3500)
10. What opportunity does unsw offer to students that uws does not offer

Hopefully these questions can help others that can't attend the open day as well.

It doesn't have to be detail as long as it's specific

Lol was planning to ask these at the lectures and to unsw medical students

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
3) no, you can complete any undergraduate degree then sit GAMSAT and if you do well in that, you can enter into postgrad medicine

Drsoccerball

HSC
So due to circumstances and the open day is on Father's Day weekend, I really was planning to find some specific detailed answers to these questions to figure out choices which will help me (and others) a lot. These are for medicine,

2. Why does unsw course offer hospital experience in year 5 to 6, while uws offers clinical experience in the very first week (is it more preferred to learn theory than practical)
4. In year one to six, what do students learn in every year? (Very brief doesn't have to be much)
5. What is the lowest atar to get to have any chance of being accepted (I know it's 96 but the mean is like 99.6 so like are all student that are accepted have an atar above 99. is there any hope for student who attain a 97-98 to be accepted, sorry if I don't make sense for this question)
6. How many positions are available for students to enter medicine as a postgraduate degree?
7. What are the fees
8. How many positions are available for students choosing either bonded or unbounded

Hopefully these questions can help others that can't attend the open day as well.

Thanks in advance
For 1 and 2 : Because its not uws...

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

7. What are the fees

Thanks in advance
For 5), actually it's the median that's ~99.6, and no, not everyone who is accepted has a 99+ ATAR. Yes, there is hope for anyone with 96+ ATAR to get in. If there wasn't, the ATAR cutoff wouldn't be 96, it'd be higher.

Catz

HSC
For 1 and 2 : Because its not uws...
No kidding, I was wondering why have an extra year is it cause they want to spread it out or are they teaching more stuff or something

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
The extra year is a research year.
Yeah heard some med students in the other threads on here (go check them out, lots of info on experience at UNSW med, and questions and that) talk about the extra research UNSW does.

I'll be going to the open day, I'll be mainly focusing on the school of engineering, but if I have time I will go sit a medicine lecture thing and can get you some brochures if you want (I'll send some pics) or just give you some general info from what I gathered. Because I'm kind of interested in medicine myself.

Catz

HSC
Yeah heard some med students in the other threads on here (go check them out, lots of info on experience at UNSW med, and questions and that) talk about the extra research UNSW does.

I'll be going to the open day, I'll be mainly focusing on the school of engineering, but if I have time I will go sit a medicine lecture thing and can get you some brochures if you want (I'll send some pics) or just give you some general info from what I gathered. Because I'm kind of interested in medicine myself.
Thank you for the offer, it's fine cause I'll ask my friends but anything helpful ill really appreciate and yeah medicine is very interesting :)

Last edited:

Catz

HSC
I just found a book that had a lot of information and answers to some of these questions. It was hidden in a bunch of other notes :)

Renko

HSC
You get a MD from unsw instead of a MBBS, if it makes you feel better

Xt

HSC
N/A
7. What are the fees
1. Extra year of compulsory research (optional at UWS)
2. UNSW offers hospital experience in first year as well
3. No, most Graduate Medical Programs have no degree pre-reqs (except Monash)
4. 2 years medical science (still get hospital every 2nd week and get clinical/communication tutorials), 1 year of mixed (Science and clinical), 2 years clinical.
5. If you get 97-98, get a stellar UMAT (95 percentile and higher), and destroy interview.
6. UNSW is strictly an UG program unless you are talking about the Lateral Entry - 10 spots
7. 10k for local
8. 20% of spots for local are bonded ~ 200 local spots, so like 40 bonded, 160 unbonded.
9. UNSW states like 3k as well
10. Forced research year, yum.

Catz

HSC
1. Extra year of compulsory research (optional at UWS)
2. UNSW offers hospital experience in first year as well
3. No, most Graduate Medical Programs have no degree pre-reqs (except Monash)
4. 2 years medical science (still get hospital every 2nd week and get clinical/communication tutorials), 1 year of mixed (Science and clinical), 2 years clinical.
5. If you get 97-98, get a stellar UMAT (95 percentile and higher), and destroy interview.
6. UNSW is strictly an UG program unless you are talking about the Lateral Entry - 10 spots
7. 10k for local
8. 20% of spots for local are bonded ~ 200 local spots, so like 40 bonded, 160 unbonded.
9. UNSW states like 3k as well
10. Forced research year, yum.
Thank you so much really appreciate it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)