• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Capped Subjects... Can you still get UAI of 100 (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hi, i was wondering if you do a capped subject if you can still get a UAI of 100, because i'm doing SORI and I heard its capped. Also, it would be good if you could tell me what u think of my subjects:

Maths Ext 1, Eng Ext 1, Physics, SORI, Business Studies, Software Design & Development

Thanks.

williamc

HSC
the-derivative said:
Hi, i was wondering if you do a capped subject if you can still get a UAI of 100, because i'm doing SORI and I heard its capped. Also, it would be good if you could tell me what u think of my subjects:

Maths Ext 1, Eng Ext 1, Physics, SORI, Business Studies, Software Design & Development

Thanks.
Yes you can get a UAI of 100.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Even if you get 100 as a HSC mark in all your subjects, that does not ensure you of a UAI of 100. It all depends on how other students perform, and how badly your subjects scale, as scaling is afresh each year, you cannot assume that getting 100 as a HSC mark will ensure a UAI of 100.

That said, you would have to be doing some pretty badly scaling subjects.

HSC
student performance (subject difficulty is a factor too) determines scaling. if you're above average you're not affected by scaling and especially not if you're among the high band 6's.

just do the subjects you like and are good at. that's the best way to maximise your uai. the whole scaling concept in the uai calculation system is designed such that any subject combination will get you the uai you deserve.

btw your subject combination is fine.

me121 said:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

Even if you get 100 as a HSC mark in all your subjects, that does not ensure you of a UAI of 100. It all depends on how other students perform, and how badly your subjects scale, as scaling is afresh each year, you cannot assume that getting 100 as a HSC mark will ensure a UAI of 100.

That said, you would have to be doing some pretty badly scaling subjects.
look the only way that hypothetical will occur is if 15-20 other people also get 100 in harder subjects. it's not even worth thinking about (although i did) :eek: because even the chances of one person getting 100 in everything is *that* low.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
well i know that SOR 1 was capped at 47.6/50 in 2005 which would of course only affect the person who topped the state, came 2nd etc. The thing is that every year capping changes depending on the performance of the cohort, but generally you do quite high scaling subjects and last year some of the kids who did your subjects got 100 UAIs ( not sure about SDD though). So i wouldn't be too worried =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)