• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Car Advice (1 Viewer)

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
For all you car enthusiasts out there, need a bit of advice, i'm looking to buy a car, say around 9-12k price range with something less than 100,000 k'z on it. I'm lookin at a mistubishi lancer.

The 2000 model looks sweet, anyway the 1.5 L seems a lil weak and i've been searching around for the CE2 series 1.8 manual version but they are a bit hard to come across, even though my bro picked one up for about 11k a year ago (2000 model).

What are your thoughts and can u recommend any others cars ? btw looking for manual and something sporty, no fords or holdens. Thanks ;)

HSC
type-R hondas was very sporty, but probably hard to find :(

PS...there are a few honda civic type-R pics in the "Question about driving a manual car" thread (last page)

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
sif you can pick up a type R even really old ones for under 12K

also look at a Nissian Pulsar SSS, very nice car, a 98 one should be around $12K

Last edited:

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
i think 2000 lancer is the way to go. dont get a hatchback. but just look around at cars first before buying. buy trading post and just look at all the cars in that price range. you will find there are large variances between same models, but a car with low kms will be more expensive, but remember it will last longer.

govich

high rolla baby
HSC
just so you know...holden commodores and ford falcons are actually quicker than just about all lancers..

suggestions are an integra, or a corolla (they last forever :p).. most 'type R's that you get for <12k will be dodgy, so don't bother.
you could probably find a nice mid-90s non-type R integra for that kinda dosh, that'd be nice, bit of go, good looks etc.

btw mr_speedy, cars with lower kms won't necessarily last longer, it all depends on how they've been treated..

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
govich said:
just so you know...holden commodores and ford falcons are actually quicker than just about all lancers..
if his looking at a lancer i doubt his in it for speed

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't really recommend a Mitsubishi. I've driven a few and to me they feel like a flimsy car. Not to mention all the safety problems they've been having with the cars lately.

For 9-12k you would be able to pick up a really nice Toyota Corolla 1.8L (circa 1995), these things last forever, are a really nice smooth ride, the parts are cheap, it's reliable and it's frugal on the petrol. If you really want a really fuel efficient "sporty" manual car look at a Charade 1.3L Turbo :p

If you have lots of money to waste on fuel then you could look at a Toyota Celica or Nissan Skyline (the sports models after 1992, not the family car model before 1992 - shares the same engine as the Holden VL - but it's a Nissan JAPANESE engine).

Check out http://www.drive.com.au, look at the reviews and feature articles and search around in your price range.

govich

high rolla baby
HSC
redslert said:
if his looking at a lancer i doubt his in it for speed
true .. well he did say 'sporty', that to me implies soome speed .. maybe it's just me :p

i'm still sticking with a mid-90s integra, the honda motors are made to rev and if you can find one that hasn't already been through a P plater you should be right. asquithian have you driven a manual honda? they're a fair bit of fun and sound alright too..

i doubt you could get a skyline in decent condition either. it'd probably have to be an R32 lowish spec model in seen-better-days condition, not worth it in my opinion. btw, just to be picky, the engines in the (R32+) skyline aren't actually quite the same as in the VL commodore .. and the VL commodore's engine was a japanese engine made by nissan.

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Yeh i doubt it you would be able to find a reasonable R32 to for under 12K. I reckon the mid-90's integra or corolla would be the best option. Integra if you are looking for a more sporty look and feel, but the corolla if you want reliability. Dont forget about insurance, an integra would obviously have much higher insurance premiums than a corolla, as would any other sports car.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
govich said:
true .. well he did say 'sporty', that to me implies soome speed .. maybe it's just me :p

i'm still sticking with a mid-90s integra, the honda motors are made to rev and if you can find one that hasn't already been through a P plater you should be right. asquithian have you driven a manual honda? they're a fair bit of fun and sound alright too..

i doubt you could get a skyline in decent condition either. it'd probably have to be an R32 lowish spec model in seen-better-days condition, not worth it in my opinion. btw, just to be picky, the engines in the (R32+) skyline aren't actually quite the same as in the VL commodore .. and the VL commodore's engine was a japanese engine made by nissan.
We're talking R30 here...

VL/Skylines circa 1989 = same engine.

govich

high rolla baby
HSC
Ziff said:
We're talking R30 here...

VL/Skylines circa 1989 = same engine.
Ziff said:
(the sports models after 1992, not the family car model before 1992 - shares the same engine as the Holden VL - but it's a Nissan JAPANESE engine)
ahh i just reread what you posted before, i interpreted it the wrong way. don't mind me :p

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Why not buy a Russian import Lada? :p

adsta

HSC
If your after a lancer then the evo 8 should be coming out pretty soon, but I think it's a bit out of your price range (and mine for that matter) =P

I have a 2002 vrx, and have had no problems with it yet. It's a nice car to drive, even up against your corolla's and pulsars. I guess it's what your used too. In saying that though, with the problems mitsubishi are having with the plant in south australia, parts could increase in price in the same way that nissan did a few years back.
So if you ask for my opinion, look at the corolla, or even the honda civics. This is rather hard for me to say, because I love my lancer...

steve_ell

id finally have to agree with redslert.... the sss pulsar hammered in it day and it also had the basis of a great motor the sr20... which id sound in many nissians which are considered high performance cars. i thik u should get one of them.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Get an old skyline if you're looking for a sports car, otherwise, for the lancer you can make it look aggressive, but it's not much in terms of power... But try looking for cars with less km instead of higher class...since that most cars act up as they approach 100k km
Btw, if you have a job, ever thought of financing hire purchase...that way you could get a better car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)