• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Career choice (1 Viewer)

Nissanist

hey peepz, i want a career that has sumthin wit Computers but dunno wat to do. I like graphics, websites n other things. Got ne sugestions?

santaslayer

HSC
1) B Computer Science @ UOW
2) B Information and Communication Technology @ UOW
3) B Creative arts/ B Computer Science @ UOW (where you can major in graphic desogn in creative arts)
4) B Computer Bioinformatics @ UOW
5) B Internet Science and Technology @ UOW
6) B Information and Communication (Software Engineering) @ UOW :p :p :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
the real question should be do you like programming or do you like the design process.
Agreed.

Don't ever think, wow make program or website, i'm going to sit there and type code etc... u gotta be good in working with teams and u have to be good at it and enjoy it, believe me, some aspects of development like documenation is very boring.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Nissanist
hey whats computer science about?
Programming, Application programming etc... if you don't like that stuff don't do it. I do Comp Science, but i like it, cause programming for me is interesting.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I love programming too, but I suck at it!

But I can't really imagine how it will be like in the future....might be hard to get a job..

santaslayer

HSC
What I was told was that the IT industries will always fluctuate. ie. Employment booms and busts over your career. But heck, you get enough money while you are employed, so I wouldn't worry too much. Might be an interesting lifestyle too- 2 month work, 10 month bludge, until your next contract comes up! :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Computer Science is the broadest of all the computing degrees - it opens you up to the most amount of jobs, though you might not be considered specalised enough for specific jobs in some cases.

Winston

HSC
So noeing a wdie range or specifying in one area is better? which 1 is better?
Why are you even asking, i mean you should know yourself, if you like computers, and you're good at it, stick with it, don't choose a specific sector of IT just because it's got good money, no use if you don't like it.

santaslayer

HSC
what do i need to get into that corse? n is it easy to get a job n shit?
Last year was 'relatively' easy to gain entry into Computer Science courses in all universities due to the rapid decrease in demand over recent years.
People don't realise that the 'IT bust' which occured just before you did the HSC does not mean the industry will be dead forever. The possibility of IT job growth is very possible IMO, but this is only speculation. :)

UAI cutoffs ranged from 69.15-UWS, to 82.00 at UNSW. :)

Nissanist

cool, so IT is gonna come bak from the dead, so itz not as bad as what pplz tell me.

santaslayer

HSC
Well, it's only based on some people's speculation (including mine). But no one knows what will happen in the future, so don't come back with a chainsaw on me if I'm wrong! :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
Last year was 'relatively' easy to gain entry into Computer Science courses in all universities due to the rapid decrease in demand over recent years.
People don't realise that the 'IT bust' which occured just before you did the HSC does not mean the industry will be dead forever. The possibility of IT job growth is very possible IMO, but this is only speculation. :)

UAI cutoffs ranged from 69.15-UWS, to 82.00 at UNSW. :)
it was strange

in 2003 USYD Comp Sci - 82
UNSW Comp Sci - 85

then this year it was the other way around

USYD - 85
UNSW - 82

lol...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
yeah, last year UNSW was trying to say why "another uni" (which they couldn't name). set cut-offs for engineering and CS higher than them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)