Casual or Part time: which is better? (1 Viewer)

Which is better?

• Casual

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Permenant Part Time

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Which do you think is better, being casual, or being permenant part-time.

i havent been PPT yet, but i wanna be, so i know WHEN my hours are, and r the same each weak, yeah, the pay is less, but there's more security, and 4weeks holidays :D.

but wat do u think?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
id say part time although u get paid less, my you get annual leave, sick leave leave, accumulation. so when you want to not work and get paid on a anytime occasion :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It depends on your circumstances.... but there is certainly a lot more security in being part time.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
from what townie has told me thru pms he reckons part time is better for uni students...what do you guys think?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It depends... casual can be better because you can work more in holidays and less in semester or when you have assignments etc. Plus if you chop and change your jobs all the time (like me) then you never stay long enough to get the benefits of part time employment.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
The rate of pay will also be determined according to the industry you work in.

I'm working 2 jobs and the job that is classified as part-time is paying better than the job that's classified as casual. It's because they're in different industries.

Being a casual is good becuase there's more flexibility in work schedules especially when exams come around.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I prefer casual for two reasons
1) more pay
2) can basically work whenever I want, I can swap and change shifts if I need to, I can get more or less work when I need it.

Just more convenient for me

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh, there is that flexibility....but i like the idea of knowing exactly when i'm working, so i can plan properley.

one problem: social life, if u have a social engagement wen ur rostered on as part-time, u cant really get out of it

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
i say part time. you know when your hours are as opposed to being called up out of the blue.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
if ur at uni id say go part time because u dont have to stress about being randomly called in to work and having to tell then u cant...if ur a casual u shud make ur availability very very clear - i didnt and regretted it when 8/10 times they called me i had to say no

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
even if you make it very clear they still call.

they both have their advantages, it depends how many hours you will be working. for example, if you want 15 hours and you can get that on part time that's better than if you want 15 hours and they put you on for 5 some weeks and 10 on others.

the stability of part time is good. the pay and flexibility of casual is good.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i'm thinking of going part time after the hsc, it'd be nice to just be able to say "these are my shifts and that's it". i'm so sick of coles not paying attention to my actual availabilities, not listening to me when i say i can't do a shift cuz of exams etc (i've gotten a "where are you??" phone call more than once) and randomly doubling my shifts when they feel like it. i worked an extra 5 hours today - i was told(not asked) about this on friday.

but yeh, there is the extra $$ advantage

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
glycerine said:
i'm thinking of going part time after the hsc, it'd be nice to just be able to say "these are my shifts and that's it". i'm so sick of coles not paying attention to my actual availabilities, not listening to me when i say i can't do a shift cuz of exams etc (i've gotten a "where are you??" phone call more than once) and randomly doubling my shifts when they feel like it. i worked an extra 5 hours today - i was told(not asked) about this on friday.

but yeh, there is the extra $$ advantage
thats the same thing that happens to me on PPT... they dont listen to my availability.. Ive written letters, brought in my timetable to PROVE i cant work afternoons because arvo classes and tutoring etc.. but they still dont listen. We have no SDA reps to go to either.

So im going with casual. Damn i had it easy back then.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
My casual job is good because I told them I am available friday to monday and am at uni the other days and ever since i started i have always got at least 2 days work in those 4 (fri - mon) that i have off uni. So it's a bit like part time since I know i'm always working (as opposed to getting 3 or 4 days one week then none the next), only the days change around a bit

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I'm a casual and planning 2 stay that way throughout uni bcoz I really need time 2 study n socialize :p
At myer ur rostered on according to ur availabilities at least 2-3 weeks ahead of the present day...
Which is awesome coz it's easy 2 plan around working hours...

nicksta_40

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
if ur a casual u shud make ur availability very very clear - i didnt and regretted it when 8/10 times they called me i had to say no
on the other hand, in order to get the job, u tell them ur available as much as possible, i.e if u finish uni at 12, say u can start at 12:30 (if u live close) etc

HSC
I like Casual because you never have to take any shifts if you don't have to. Alternately, they dont have to give you any if they dont want to...

When I'm ready for committment I'd rather get a full-time, so yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)