• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Change school for year 12? (1 Viewer)

xjpmmx

HSC
Hi, i have quite alot of questions to ask =] Please help me

I am unsure if i should possibly change schools in year 11, so i will attend a new school in year 12. Is this common? Do most people stay at the same school for the senior years? Would it be a disadvantage to change?

Also, i currently attend a selective school (rank20-30), and i am thinking about changing to a higher ranked selective school (say top 20) that offer year 12 enrolment. What are the chances of this being possible?Do schools like sydney boys,baulkham hills, fort street etc offer much places in year12? is competition fierce?

I would also like to ask, if the change to one of the higher ranked selective schools just for 3 terms of year 12, would be worth the extra travel and re-making of friends?

Any help will be appreciated!

Wackedupwacko

HSC
i dont think theyd offer yr 12 places because after yr 11 places get filled up nobody is going to leave unless they have exetreme circumstances, its also disadvantageous to leave your school since you have spent yr 11 with what are likely to be your yr 12 teachers and as such can communicate/ get help from easier than say a rdm teacher at a new school. the competition is there to beat everyone else at school but unless you are one of those nerds that do nothing but study, people wont mention it much. (kinda like an unspoken agreement but not one where u would kill over =P)

ps i goto nsbhs

Last edited:

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Agreed. It's rare to leave after year 11, you would've already made all changes by the time you enter the senior years.

mat2154

HSC
at sbhs we will probably only have 1-2 spots for Yr12. You really should have tried out for y11.

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
It depends on the reasoning for changing schools.
Yes it can be a disadvantage as has been said but it can be an advantage aswell, if I did I would be advantaged as I go to a small country school and in the bigger schools there is more opportunity to bounce off other like minded people.
But in your case if you just want to change because the other school is ranked higher I'd stay where you are and do things out side of school to help yourself, just because the other school is ranked higher dosesn't mean you can't get a really good UAI where you are.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I dont know about Sydney High giving placements in Yr12, but if I were you, changing school in Yr12 does seem very risky. You have to deal with new teacher, new school, schoolmates and traveltimes, all that on top of the HSC. Friends will be left behind, and they're esential for you to get by in Yr12, so you have to go through the whole process again, and it may even be harder because by yr 12, everyone has their own little cliques and groups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)