Changing Perspective English help (2 Viewers)

Twickel

HSC
Hi
Anyone know any good texts for changing perspective. Also I am not sure on this. I have to find visual and language techniques and relate them to changing perspective.

How can I relate it to change in perspective?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well the techniques vary from text to text....

Twickel

HSC
Sorry im trying to say how can I link any technique to changing perspecitve. Am I meant to link it to the writers views before and after. e.g through the use of simile the author has shown their change in perspective?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Pleasant Ville (color changing = change in prespective of each persons enlightenment or realistation) for film text.

bored of sc

HSC
Twickel said:
Hi
Anyone know any good texts for changing perspective. Also I am not sure on this. I have to find visual and language techniques and relate them to changing perspective.

How can I relate it to change in perspective?
American Beauty directed by Sam Mendes demonstrates a clear change in the protagonist's perspective towards life (change in attitude). There are a myriad of diverse visual and language techniques utilised within the text.

As a side note, there are techniques common to ALL texts (if you're stuck finding them).

For visual texts there tends to be:
> objects
> size
> placement
> body language
> facial expression
> clothing
> lighting
> angles
> shots
> foreground/background
> symbols
> colour

For literary (language) texts there tends to be:
> tense
> syntax (sentence structure)
> grammar
> nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, conjunctions, prefix/suffix, proper nouns, prepositions
> tone, style
> rhythm, pace
> comparative, superlative
> subjective, objective
> type of language (sarcastic, descriptive, didactic, emotive, formal, informal, jargon, persuasive, factual, literal, figurative, reflective, dialogue)
> irony
> paradox, oxymoron
> mutli-sensory imagery
> alliteration, assonance, consonance, rhyme
> denouement
> connotation
> cliche

You'll have to check whether some of those are techniques though. They could just be linguistic features.

There's no set in stone process for linking the technique to the change in perspective. But like you said, if in doubt make the link as clear as possible for example:

The techniques of colour and clothing are used by director Samuel Mendes in the film American Beauty to show the changing perspectives of not only Lester, but his wife Carolyn too. In the first scenes of the film Lester's clothing is of dark colour and is worn in well-kept, straight manner (i.e. shirts tucked in, uncrumpled coats, shiny shoes). However, as Lester's monotonous life changes course and he begins to open up to the world from an optimistic, free-willed perspective, his clothing transforms synonomously. The once conservative, business-orientated clothing is now unkept and lacks consideration (i.e. shirts untucked, business-coats not worn, crumpled attire); reminiscient of his new leisurely, care-free perspective/attitude of/towards life (e.g. taking drugs, training his body whenever he pleases, drinking beer straight from the bottle etc). Carolyn Burhnam's change in persceptive is similarly achieved. The technique of colour is utilised by Mendes to replicate her frame of mind; her internal attitudes. The technique of colour is used carefully by Mendes on Carolyn's clothing. Before the transformation her clothing and accessories were traditionally business-like (i.e. tidy, ironed dresses/coats, stockings, lipstick, hair meticulously prepared). This reflects her priority of work and her busy lifestyle. However upon the introduction of her change in perspective the relatively dull shades are replaced with bright, decorated clothes (for e.g. the pink, orange and red shirt in the dinner scene). This clearly emphasises her psychological progression and changing concerns; from a traditionalist American work-a-holic to rebellious, power-ridden unfaithful wife. Mendes has incorporated the techniques of clothing and colour on Lester and Carolyn Burhnam to provide insight into their personal perspectives and the subsequent changes these attitudes undertake. Through a change of clothing from tidy and well-prepared to unkept and lack of consideration, a change of colours worn from dull and uninteresting to bright and decorated Mendes has successfully clarified the massive change in perspectives of both Lester and Carolyn Burhnam. Intially the two were materialistic and work-orientated; however these perspectives changed to carefree and rebellious.

The above paragraph needs alot of work, but you should get my point. If you say 'the technique reflects/mirrors/shows the change in perspective' you can't go wrong. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Twickel

HSC
Thankyou all. I was wondering if the way a character talks in a movie can show change in perspective. I noticed in something I was doing originally the character cannot make eye contact with other chracters and keeps mumbling. What technique is that?

Does anyone know where I can find a link of lists of film and visual techniques and what each one shows?

Thanks

Twickel

HSC
So that paragraph you provided me with answers this question? Composers have different attitudes towards the concept of change and changing perspectives. Outline an example of one of these attitudes found in a text of your choosing. What exactly is that asking? what do they mean by attitude?

American Beauty are there any other techniuqes that have been used to show the change of perspective?

bored of sc

HSC
> objects
> size
> placement
> body language
> facial expression
> clothing
> lighting
> angles
> shots
> foreground/background
> symbols
> colour
> layout
> written text
> camera: angles, focus, movements, shots, speed
> editing: cut, dissolve, fade etc.
> lighting: top, high key etc.
> sound: dialogue, diegetic, music, voice-over
> special effects: animation, animatronics, model shots, pixillation

bored of sc

HSC
Twickel said:
I was wondering if the way a character talks in a movie can show change in perspective. I noticed in something I was doing originally the character cannot make eye contact with other chracters and keeps mumbling. What technique is that?
Voice-over: The voice of an unseen narrator, or of an onscreen character not seen speaking, in a movie or a television broadcast.

Twickel

HSC
Any visual techniques e.g demanding gaze etc. Sorry my english teacher cant give notes for some reason.

Twickel

HSC
How can I answer this question?

Composers have different attitudes towards the concept of change and changing perspectives. Outline an example of one of these attitudes found in your text

What exactly are they asking? What does attitude mean ( in relation to thiss topic)?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Attitudes would most simply mean values.

-tal-

HSC
Twickel said:
Thankyou all. I was wondering if the way a character talks in a movie can show change in perspective. I noticed in something I was doing originally the character cannot make eye contact with other chracters and keeps mumbling. What technique is that?

Does anyone know where I can find a link of lists of film and visual techniques and what each one shows?

Thanks
Best I can put it is gaze. Then come up with something like: the protagonist's minimal amount of eye contact symbolises their fear of intimacy blah blah blah... however this slowly changes throughout the course of the film, shown by the (insert technique, example, effect)

Twickel

HSC
Ok values. So im doing cool runnings. I say something like director bob ...........................................................................

damn that question is annoying me.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh, let's do your essay for you? It's not as if any of us have lives or anything. :p :rolleyes:

Twickel

HSC
Once attitude portrayed by director Jon through the character of Irv is a sad once because of regret. A greater understanding and knowledge has led to a change in his perspective blah blah i got it now thanks.

Twickel

HSC
Director Jon Turtletaub has shown the many attitudes one can have to a change and
change in perspective in the movie cool runnings. Such attitudes include a positive one- where a character accepts change or a negative one- where a character rejects change. With such attitudes come values a character with a positive attitude has values of passion, determination and confidence whereas a character with a negative attitude towards change has values such as regret and anger.
The director has explored these attitudes through all characters experiencing a change in fortune and circumstances .
Derice a character from the film is a successful sprinter who fails to qualify for the summer Olympics because of a change in fortune. Derice has a positive attitude towards this change and this brings about a change in perspective he forgets about his failure and is determined to represent his country even in another sport, because of his positive attitude derice is able to cope with the change and changes his perspective so he can still achieve what he wants. This change in perspective led Derice to a deeper awareness of self.
Yul unlike Derice has a negative attitude towards change. The change in circumstance has left him bitter and angry, because of his dislike of Jamica, Yul regretfully changes his perspective and is left with no choice but to represent Jamaica in an sport unfamiliar to him. Overtime Yul stopped being bitter and his change in perspective brought tolerance and acceptance to him and brought a change in relationships. His change of perspective was reflected through his change in attitude and behaviour towards his teammates.
Another attitude which the director has shown through the character of Irv which led to a change in perspective is a sad attitude with regret. Irv cheated by adding weights to his bobsleigh to make it run faster because of this he had his medals stripped from him. As time went on Irv had a greater understanding and greater knowledge of the problem he caused and this led to a change in perspective which was shown through his attitude. Going from glum to happy and supporting.
The director of the film has shown how he believes people will react and what their attitudes will be like to a change in fortune and circumstances through the characters of the film cool runnings.

Does that answer the question I posted?

Twickel

HSC
But it answers the question correctly just not as detailed as what it could be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)