• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

changing to drama (1 Viewer)

naughtygazman

HSC
I am in year 11 and thinking of changing to drama. This may sound stupid but i dont want to act. How much of drama consists of other componence and how much of performance would i need to do.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
naughtygazman said:
I am in year 11 and thinking of changing to drama. This may sound stupid but i dont want to act. How much of drama consists of other componence and how much of performance would i need to do.
From what I remember, it was a 60/40 split in year 11 drama, 60% being performance, 40% being theory, essays and a couple of reviews. In Year 12, there is (from memory, someone correct me if I'm wrong) the 40% of theory, 30% for Group Performance (which is a compulsory performance project), and 30% Individual Project (which is your choice, theory or performance).

If you don't want to act, I reccommend that you don't do drama so you don't let down your group when it comes to the GP.

^mel^

HSC
okay i'll tell you honestly, if you really dont want to act then i dont advise you change to drama, although i absolutely love the theory part of drama.
most of the acting that you will have to do will be in groups, except for one monologue, so this means if you dont put the effort into the practical part, you will bring the group's performance down, especially for the HSC GP.
if it's the technical side of drama you're interested in, i recommend entertainment.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
yes, mel and skillo are both right. if you pick drama there's no way around it - you'll have to act sooner or later. in fact for your hsc a group performance is compulsory. if its the speaking-in-front-of-people thing that bothers you and you still really want to do it, perhaps you could go to a couple of community drama classes to get a feel for whether you're really cut out for it, and then decide.

naughtygazman

HSC
thanks everyone. I just needed some clarification my mate said you could choose the diferent components instead. I may still consider it.

niteshade1312

HSC
naughtygazman said:
thanks everyone. I just needed some clarification my mate said you could choose the diferent components instead. I may still consider it.
Did you not listen to any of the above comments?! Drama although the split is 60/40 Prac to Theory, if you arn't keen on acting, trust us all, you will be slaughtered by your group. No group wants an unenthusiatic non- actor to be in their group. You want someone with some acting skills and someone that can work as park as a group to bring out the best in each of the actors.

I think its stupid picking up drama if you DON'T want to act. There's a difference if you want to act in group and choose to do a written IP, but otherwise, if I were you, I really wouldn't consider Drama as an option.

greenapple^0^

HSC
oooookey.... i thought this suppose to be a drama thing not a sexual thing..lol

well to that person..if u think u gonna fail drama just drop it. when you get to your group there is going to be a big drama going on..you are gonna hate your friend..well i'm not in that stage right now but i know i will someday but i still know that i love drama.. so think about it really deeply..

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Komaticom said:
Are all of you guys/girls water-tap actors? Cos I need one for my uni video project.
you know, you have a lot of potential as a director from that video i saw you have a good eye. but if you get actors who are overly dramatic or "water-tap" actors or overactors, the quality of the films wont improve.

try and get the audience to cry without showing them how. it will make for a better project imho. good luck.

back on topic, if the original poster is hoping to do srama to get marks for little work, dont even think about it. but if you are prepared to LEARN drama and try your best at acting and other components, then of course you have a chance.

one of the best hsc performances i have ever seen was from a girl who picked up drama for the first time in year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)