• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Chinese Cinderalla - Adeline Yen Mah (1 Viewer)

evanish

HSC
N/A
This is a story i advise many of you to read. It's an autobiography and before you switch off hear me out. It made me cry non stop...no joke. And i don't cry that easily. The pain and suffering Adeline Yen Mah has gone through in her life is excrutiating. It's a story of her survival through her childhood and her struggle to be accepted and loved by her own father. Trust me...you'll absoluetly loathe the Step mother...she's such a B!@#$%...excuse the language, but she is.

Has anyone else read this story? I'd love to know what other people thought about it.

astro

HSC
i've read chinese cinderella......as sad as the story was, it's not unusual these things happen - many have suffered more than her...

kochou

Yeh I had to read it for history a few years back...I cried too, it was really sad! True that many would have suffered more than her, but to think how her family was so mean to her.. =(

C

CaR

i read it back in yr8/2000...falling leaves, also by the same author is better though

she's also released a new book called the Chinese Cinderella & the Secret Dragon Society...dunno what that one's about =)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
It's a fantastic recount!!
I think Falling Leaves and Chinese Cinderella are basically the same story, just that more details are included in Falling Leaves.

I found both books very touching and they are like the only books that made me cry!!
What's your opinion on the author, despite of everything that her stepmum, dad and siblings have done to her?

I see her as both brave and naive. Brave because she has endured it all, naive because she didn't stand up for herself.

If I were her, I think I would actually disown the family. I don't know, but some of the stuff that they've done to her were just damn right horrible. And it's pretty silly for her just to stick with it (despite her strong conventionism)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
It was a little sad but my cynicism kicked in when the details became a little melodramatic...still, pretty good book. I like her third book the most because it deals more with philosophical ideals rather than a straight out autobiogaphy.

capsicum

HSC
i read it some years back, and yeah, it brought tears to my eyes.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Sure its a sad story -- but i think it ends there. I found the writing way too bland, it was lacking in a language that could hit me deep -- i think it because this english translation is not doing the poetic chinese language any justice.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
errr the book was orginally written in english anyway. It was only the Chinese proverbs and the occasional quote that was translated :p

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
errr the book was orginally written in english anyway. It was only the Chinese proverbs and the occasional quote that was translated :p
thx for that :)

tho i still go by what i said before, being of chinese background - i think certain descriptions would be left lost in translation

lengstar

HSC
i read falling leaves, its a must read, though i'm totally put off with stories bitching about the cultural revolution now, no matter how bad it was.

onigiri

HSC
lengstar said:
i read falling leaves, its a must read, though i'm totally put off with stories bitching about the cultural revolution now, no matter how bad it was.
my friend lent me falling leaves and its sitting at the end of my bed... haven't had time to read it yet. I've read Chinese Cinderella, it was sad... but not unusual. It's like I've heard a similar story before.

funniboi

HSC
I might read this after I read Magician.

What other books does's this writer write ?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
funniboi said:
I might read this after I read Magician.

What other books does's this writer write ?
Falling Leaves

Watching The Tree ( I think...)

There is also a 3rd one but I can't remember what it's called...golden something? well the book was yellow if that helps LOL

Edit: 4th book I meant.. HEY! i can count :(

Last edited:

funniboi

HSC
Sarah168 said:
Falling Leaves

Watching The Tree ( I think...)

There is also a 3rd one but I can't remember what it's called...golden something? well the book was yellow if that helps LOL

Edit: 4th book I meant.. HEY! i can count :(

it's all part of a series aye?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
no no. The first two are autobiographies. The next two are more on philosophical issues and life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)