choosing electives (2 Viewers)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
what is generally the feeling when people choose electives. i just want all perspectives for peoples' reasonings.

thanks.

also, i am going to call up the uni about this...but does anyone know what my chances of doing 15 cp's this sem are, after a poor performance(P, P, Cr, F) in first sem?
i dont want to fall behind a subject, and my subjects this semester are probably easier to what will be so in the following years, and i have made sort of a plan of subjects that i'll prolly do in my degree by each semester, so dont want to screw that over. any comments? :)
once again, thanks.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
i chose Chinese(Mando) as my elective, since i have an interest in learning the language & i also believe Mandarin will be useful now & in the future. :)

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
if you can't do 15 cp, you could always do a unit in the holidays (summer/winter school), although not all units are available then.

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
if you can't do 15 cp, you could always do a unit in the holidays (summer/winter school), although not all units are available then.
not many units actually. and some are only for repeat students only.

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
redruM said:
what is generally the feeling when people choose electives. i just want all perspectives for peoples' reasonings.

thanks.

also, i am going to call up the uni about this...but does anyone know what my chances of doing 15 cp's this sem are, after a poor performance(P, P, Cr, F) in first sem?
i dont want to fall behind a subject, and my subjects this semester are probably easier to what will be so in the following years, and i have made sort of a plan of subjects that i'll prolly do in my degree by each semester, so dont want to screw that over. any comments? :)
once again, thanks.
generally they wont let you overload unless you have at least a D average or high C at most. They are quite strict with overloading, generally, if you are going to graduate one semester earlier by overloading then they will let you do so. Otherwise, its tough.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
orangeguy said:
generally they wont let you overload unless you have at least a D average or high C at most. They are quite strict with overloading, generally, if you are going to graduate one semester earlier by overloading then they will let you do so. Otherwise, its tough.
that sucks...i'd have rather overloaded now then later on. :(

i'll bug them anyway...:D

cyan: not going to pay twice the normal price and study in the holz...:p

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i plan to pick my electives either from marketing, sociology or politics.

i say you should pick a subject and stick to it for your electives... the reason being because you need to have a certain amount of credit points above 200 level and 300 level. you don't want to be doing all different types of 100 level units because the 200/300 level units will most likely require you to have done the previous level units... you get me??

as for overloading, i plan to overload this semester as well, i just hope they will let me...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
what are you going to say so that they let you overload? whats your "plan of action", so to speak?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'm going to say i want to graduate a year earlier!! because i'm kinda already a year behind...

i don't wanna spend 5 years at two different uni's in 5 different courses... i'd rather only spend 4 years, save me on hecs fees and time...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
lol, i have made a conscious decision that i wont be doing summer courses.

i am going to overload in some semester at some stage...thats my sacrifice?

i said that comment as a joke...didnt directly mean that i wont mind making that sacrifice...but like i said i dont particularly want to do a course in the holidays for other reasons, not just the ones i jokingly mentioned.

lol, i see your custom status, the phoenix has spoken, and see the tone of your post:D

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
The best way to do it is to plan out the rest of your degree (taking into consideration pre-reqs, yada yada). Then you can see where you will have to overload if any. I doubt they'd let you with your current GPA, but hey, give it a shot.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
the thing is that i already have. i have gone through all my prereqs and electives that i'd want to do for my first 3 yrs.

i have a list of the subjects that i'll do in each semester for those first 3 years. with spaces for electives.

actually....i think i made a mistake somewhere...i dont think i need to actually overload this semester. if anything it would have to be sometime next year...

omg! wtf was i stressing out about...*smacks head*

cyan: why the hell are you on bos if you are drunk?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Why would you even consider overloading when you didn't get thru the normal load unscathed. To put it simply, you have even more chances of failing more than one unit if you attempt five in semester 2. You'd rather do fewer units and do them well.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i'd rather overload now rather than later, thats what i thought. but i dont need to. and becauase of my marks i dont think they'll let me.

it was basically because, my the subjects i had planned out to do were going to be disrupted.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i have chosen electives that i think will be useful in the future because of personal interests, that i think will help me to get ahead of the pack in getting the specific job i want (rather than getting almost the job i want)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Seriously, I don't believe doing a certain elective will get you ahead of the pack!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
flyin' said:
Seriously, I don't believe doing a certain elective will get you ahead of the pack!
you don't think? why not? i think if i have more experince in the certain area which others don't have it will be better. also doing the elective might make people more readily hire you for work experience in the specific area.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
how can you have "more experience" at something which you've learnt out of a textbook? and its only 1 subjects. its not going to make any difference. they're going to take 10 seconds looking at your transcript to get a general idea about your academic abilities then they're going to look elsewhere.

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
i dont realli think wen i choose electives... its like impulsive.. bleh.. :'( i miss ahst... stupid phil.. stupid elec... bleh... i wanna go back to the dusty ol' past.. bleh.. stuff computers.. evil..but free printin is always good :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)