Choosing The Movie and Sitting Through "Chick Flicks" (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
So anyway, bf and i have seen a few movies together now, can't avoid it after 2 years, and it came to me that i've never been able to see a movie i GENUINELY want to watch.

He's really indecisive about everything else except for movies. These include

Troy
Alexander
The Last Samurai
Hero
Lord Of The Rings 3
Shrek 2
The Ring 2
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
Anchorman

There are some good movies there, otherwise I would've been incredibly reluctant, but when I suggested to watch stuff like "Closer" or "Crash" or "The Notebook" (which aren't necessarily all chick flicks) he screams for his life.

Is it THAT hard for you guys to sit through something that doesn't have fights or toilet humour? Or do I stick with my girly friends and do so?

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
my bf's newest conquest is to get me to see star wars.....
but i have to admit i did get him to see stepford wives..which was a disaster.
they do like to watch their own movies more than ours ...even if they arent totally chick flicks

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
well i have given into lord of the rings..i'm not really into it that much. but i watched the first one.
star wars i've seen 1.5 movie out of 6 and i think that was enough (i slept through half of number 2)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
hmm my boyfriend usually agrees with whatever i decide to see... if theres nothing we really want to see, and we've nothing better to do then we'll just look for the next decent-sounding movie.

sitting through elektra (his choice) was excruciating... we both fell asleep during alexander and kingdom of heaven... he loved closer, though. i think he'll draw the line at harry potter :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I have seen or would like to see almost every single movie on that list. A movie just isn't a movie without toliet jokes.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
So anyway, bf and i have seen a few movies together now, can't avoid it after 2 years, and it came to me that i've never been able to see a movie i GENUINELY want to watch.

He's really indecisive about everything else except for movies. These include

Troy
Alexander
The Last Samurai
Hero
Lord Of The Rings 3
Shrek 2
The Ring 2
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
Anchorman

There are some good movies there, otherwise I would've been incredibly reluctant, but when I suggested to watch stuff like "Closer" or "Crash" or "The Notebook" (which aren't necessarily all chick flicks) he screams for his life.

Is it THAT hard for you guys to sit through something that doesn't have fights or toilet humour? Or do I stick with my girly friends and do so?
If you're seeing a movie with your boyfriend, does it really matter what the movie is? It's not as if you'd actually watch it.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Skittled and I generally have the same taste in movies, with a few exceptions (like Star Wars... I've never ever watched a whole movie). I'd have to agree with Asqui, its a bit immature of him to react that way. You've probably never bitched about seeing a guy flick, and so he's probably just used to getting his way, or he has friends just like that and he has to maintain his attempted patriarchal hold on you to prove his 'manliness'. For one, Closer is not a chick flick: its intellectual in the same way as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and he gets to see strippers and there's some domestic violence, so there are two elements of traditional guy films: its just Closer has a storyline...Maybe thats what he's scared of: being mentally engaged in the movie! Personally, this would shit me... you're a good girlfriend.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
MaryJane said:
Skittled and I...
This happens every time! I see a post, think "hey, I've got some thoughts about that", get down to the bottom, and see that little girl bending over with little dangley bits hanging off her nipples and I growl "damn her. Got in first". ;)

ur_inner_child said:
...Is it THAT hard for you guys to sit through something that doesn't have fights or toilet humour? Or do I stick with my girly friends and do so?
Closer is an awesome movie. Problem is, there are many movies that girls love that don't seem to appeal to guys. For example, there are some movies I can watch (I'll not name them for fear of it coming back to bite me later...), but I'd watch them once and then cross them off my list. However, girls buy them. And have in-jokes about them. And know the words off by heart. And swoon over them... OH, mr DARRCCY.. in fact.. I've seen someone with a Mr Darcy AVATAR here on BOS.

So, in the words of wanton-wonton, "It's just bloody boring"... but, it's only a select few, and that's made worse by an apparent obsession with them (Yes, I'm sure guys have exactly the same inclination toward their movies). So, possibly, your BF is used to you chosing movies he doesn't like --or, if he's not used to it, maybe he just predicts it'd be like that-- and so regardless of what you pick (ie the notebook, closer, etc... which are awesome movies, btw), he screams and runs for his life...

Maybe what you could do is ask him why he's so reluctant? Get an intelligent answer from him, not just "I don't want to", but why he's got this generalised response to the movies you suggest, and will only see the ones he's interested. From there, suggest the situation be reversed: only go and see movies that you want to see, regardless of his thoughts. Maybe you'll get a compromise...?

(Please excuse any sarcastic (or otherwise) overtones to that... I'm meaning all this in the best intention, it's just the way it's coming out, this morning. ;))

Edit: realised the avatar of 'Mr Darcy' isn't the Jane Austen Mr Darcy I was thinking of, but the appropriation (maybe even a remake?) of Jane Austen's Mr Darcy... same old guy, though. ;)

Last edited:

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
I'm a guy and i'll watch just about anything. I saw crash - excellent movie - really made me reflect on my own life. I mean i still like typically 'guy' movies with violence & toilet humour, but i still appreciate stuff that appeals to the emotions!I'm becoming a real movie buff lately - just joined video easy unlimited so i can catch up on the old movies while i can see all the new movies at the cinema!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
my boyfriend watches anything :p
we always want to watch the same movies... we even watched princess diaries 2 together :p

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
my boyfriend watches anything :p
we always want to watch the same movies... we even watched princess diaries 2 together :p
I don't mind little kiddy movies and the occasional chick flick - I saw bloody Cindarella story with a girl once lol - I didn't particularly appeal to me - but it paid off when she came and saw Star Wars with me =)!

Alimoe_KG

HSC
james_chappo said:
I don't mind little kiddy movies and the occasional chick flick - I saw bloody Cindarella story with a girl once lol - I didn't particularly appeal to me - but it paid off when she came and saw Star Wars with me =)!
rofl. Depending on which way you look at it, the new Star Wars movies could certainly be regarded as chick flicks :p

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Airness said:
rofl. Depending on which way you look at it, the new Star Wars movies could certainly be regarded as chick flicks :p
Girls suck at star wars. They don't appreciate it as much as guys.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
jumb said:
Thats bs. I love Star Wars (growing up in a family with 2 older brothers and a father in love with it I didnt have much choice) but I seriously do. I thought the new ones were crap but. Number three was better then two though and number two was moderately better then one, but four five and six rock my socks off. I saw number three with my friend, clueless as she was, she thought Darth Vadar was Anakins dad! And then proceeded to tell me it was stupid how there wasnt a big deal of him turning to the dark side, but she liked it when he was 'transformed' into Darth Vadar.

Anyway sorry for the rant, but you're talking about a majority.. I love Star Wars and LOTR. I do hate Star Trek though. What is with that? :\

Alimoe_KG

HSC
jumb said:
I'm not too sure i appreciate Jar Jar Blinks either but yea you're right. First they see Obi Wan and they get turned on. Then they see Yoda and it kind of deflates their bubble.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
jebbie said:
Anyway sorry for the rant, but you're talking about a majority.. I love Star Wars and LOTR. I do hate Star Trek though. What is with that? :\
I'm sure if I got into star trek I'd like it, but unlike star wars it just seems like such a cliche nerd thing, that I want to avoid it at all costs.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
jumb said:
I'm sure if I got into star trek I'd like it, but unlike star wars it just seems like such a cliche nerd thing, that I want to avoid it at all costs.
I attempted to watch it late one night on TV1. It made no sense whatsoever.

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Airness said:
HAHAHAAHAH too true. The original triliogy was classic. Epidsode's 1 and 2 were chick flickish bud episode 3 is much more violent and serious - ending star wars on a good note =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)