• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Circle Geometry (1 Viewer)

kony

HSC
let PX = a
and let SX = b

from (i), PX/AP = SX/BS
a/5=b/3
a=5b/3 --------------------- (1)

also, AX + XB = 16.
AX represents the hypotenuse of APX and XB represents the hypotenuse of XSB.

root(25+a²) + root(9+b²) = 16
subbing in result (1),

root(25+25b²/9) + root(9+b²) = 16
5/3.root(9+b²) + root(9+b²) = 16
root(9+b²) = 6

from this, a and b are found.

now we use a bit of trig to find what angleSBX and angleQAX are, in order to find the length of arcPQ and arcRS. the result required follows.

DJel

HSC
Hi,

thanks for the help, I have found that angles PAQ and RBS are 2pi/3 (as angles SBX and QAX = pi/3) therefore arc RS = 2pi and arc PQ = 10pi/3. Now, I think I am confused about how the string is being placed around the circle.

I am starting at R to Q then around the circumference back to Q then 2/3 of the circumference back up to P. From P to S then around the circumference back to S then 2/3 of the circumference back up to R.

I think I am doing it wrong, could someone please explain how the string is going around the two circles?

DJel.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
DJel said:
Hi,

thanks for the help, I have found that angles PAQ and RBS are 2pi/3 (as angles SBX and QAX = pi/3) therefore arc RS = 2pi and arc PQ = 10pi/3. Now, I think I am confused about how the string is being placed around the circle.

I am starting at R to Q then around the circumference back to Q then 2/3 of the circumference back up to P. From P to S then around the circumference back to S then 2/3 of the circumference back up to R.

I think I am doing it wrong, could someone please explain how the string is going around the two circles?

DJel.
  1. P to S
  2. S to R around the big arc
  3. R to Q
  4. Q to P around the big arc

He already found you SX and PX. So times each one by 2 (PX = QX since tangents from external point are equal) and add them together. And then add the pratial circumferences of both circles and add everything together.

Like this: 2SX + 2PX +RS (big arc) + PQ (big arc)

Following from Kony's working out, PX = (5 x square root of 27)/3 and SX = square root of 27

Arc PQ = rl = 5 . 4pi/3
Arc RS = rl = 3. 4pi/3

Total distance = 2 x (5 x square root of 27)/3 + 2 x square root of 27 + 20pi/3 + 12pi/3
= 61.2231345....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)