• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Coleridge Poems (1 Viewer)

alicia88

HSC
Does anyone think that any particular 2 out of coleridge's poems relate best to imaginary journeys, my thesis is along the lines of using imagination to escape reality so I'm thinking Kubla Khan but not sure of the other? Any ideas?

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
I think that in This Lime Tree Bower My Prison Coleridge is trying to escape the reality of the bower and his confinement and isolation while in it by going on an imaginative journey across the countryside. I'm not sure if thats the kind of escape from reality you're looking for. Kubla Khan is about how the creative mind works and I guess he kinda creates a fictious place separate to reality that in his mind evolves.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
sammi260 said:
I think that in This Lime Tree Bower My Prison Coleridge is trying to escape the reality of the bower and his confinement and isolation while in it by going on an imaginative journey across the countryside. I'm not sure if thats the kind of escape from reality you're looking for. Kubla Khan is about how the creative mind works and I guess he kinda creates a fictious place separate to reality that in his mind evolves.
i agree with you, Lime Tree Bower My Prison is one that relates to escape from reality.

Coleridge is able to use his mind to trace a journey, an imaginative one that provides an exit from reality. It is this journey where personal understanding and fulfilment is undertaken. The poem begins with a petulant tone of reality which then contrasts to an optimistic tone towards the end of the poem which shows how the imaginative journey can embrace situations through the escape fo reality

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
If i were you alicia i'd do either kubla khan and frost at midnight or kubla khan and lime tree bower. The contrasts between kubla khan and the others is excellent for arguments for and against your provided topic question. If you do both frost at midnight and lime tree bower you'll find as they are both conversational poems, there's disproportionately more similarities than contrasts and you need BOTH to score highly.

You could also try The Ancient Mariner which is vastly different from the aforementioned poems, but doing this with any other might get hectic (it's a freaking .. tome!).

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Doing one conversational (TLTBMB or FAM) and one mystical/mythical (TROTAM or KK) is a very good idea. It gives you a much broader range of ideas and techniques to work with and helps ensure that your essay doesn't become too bogged down in the speculative or the metaphysical.

If your thesis is based around the idea of escaping reality, I'd suggest Kubla Khan and Limetree.

natcar

HSC
yeh i agree...this lime tree-bower is a gud example...
or the rime of the ancient mariner....long but a gud 1 n an easy 1...

but the best i reckon wud b kubla khan....

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
would anyone be able to give me a basic overview of the meaning of Kubla? I really dont get it and I got an assessment due tomorrow!!! any help would be really appreciated!

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
kubla khan shows us the power of the imagination to bring us into contact with archetypical harmony. it also follows the quest to regain paradise once experience and also the tru role of the poet.

ok i dont know about oyu but that made absolutely no sense to me.
took it straight out of the booklet they gave us.
^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)