Commerce (International)? (1 Viewer)

diana169

HSC
N/A
Can someone please give me a comparison between Commerce, Commerce(International) and Commerce(Liberal)? at UNSW? i.e. course structure and the difference in cut-offs.

and is it really competitive to gain international exchange in Commerce?

Thanks heaps

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
diana169 said:
Can someone please give me a comparison between Commerce, Commerce(International) and Commerce(Liberal)? at UNSW? i.e. course structure and the difference in cut-offs.

and is it really competitive to gain international exchange in Commerce?

Thanks heaps
Haven't any of the 08's done any research whatsoever on their degree?

Since I'm nice and shit, I'll tell u a few things.

Commerce is a straight 3 year degree full of asians who mostly do accounting/finance as they are all dying to be CAs/CPAs.

Commerce (International) is like ordinary commerce except you go overseas on exchange for a bit.

Commerce (Liberal) is also like ordinary commerce except its 4 years (I think...) as you do an extra major from another faculty (hence why its called liberal= study whatever you want)

Exchange is competitive and you can't fail more than once I think in any of your subjects. Also, with exchange, its competitve as in which particular overseas uni you want to go to than in actually going on exchange in itself (still, you need decent marks).

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Omium said:
08'er : Whats a degree?
08'er: I want to make a lot of money and know absolute fuck all about my future. Please, random people on internet forum! Decide my future for me because I lack the ability to do it myself!

proringz

HSC
tallkid34 said:
Haven't any of the 08's done any research whatsoever on their degree?

Commerce (International) is like ordinary commerce except you go overseas on exchange for a bit.

Exchange is competitive and you can't fail more than once I think in any of your subjects. Also, with exchange, its competitve as in which particular overseas uni you want to go to than in actually going on exchange in itself (still, you need decent marks).
So do you have to pay for that exchange thing even though it's mandatory (says on website, not sure) for commerce (international)?

Btw cut-offs according to UAC Guide: commerce; 95.2, commerce (international); 97.00, commerce (liberal studies); 95.2

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
tallkid34 said:
08'er: I want to make a lot of money and know absolute fuck all about my future. Please, random people on internet forum! Decide my future for me because I lack the ability to do it myself!
just send them here Let me google that for you

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
proringz said:
So do you have to pay for that exchange thing even though it's mandatory (says on website, not sure) for commerce (international)?
I havent been on exchange myself (dont plan to, already lived overseas and all that) but from what my friends say, the university will cover you to a certain point mostly in regards to your tuition and stuff but you'll be the one who has to come up with the money for most of your living expenses overseas.

proringz

HSC
tallkid34 said:
I havent been on exchange myself (dont plan to, already lived overseas and all that) but from what my friends say, the university will cover you to a certain point mostly in regards to your tuition and stuff but you'll be the one who has to come up with the money for most of your living expenses overseas.
Alright, yeah makes sense. Thanks.

lordesf

HSC
Can anyone tell me will interntional commerce offer language majors or wateva u call?

Consdierng its a 4 yr course... wil they allow u to study chinese studies for ur 4th yr? does comerce(liberal) offer chinese study?

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
proringz said:
Alright, yeah makes sense. Thanks.
I'm not doing Commerce (International) OR International Studies. And I'll be going on exchange for a year next year. I will not pay the tuition fees of the overseas university, but instead I pay UNSW my normal fees (as I would if I was still in UNSW, via HECS), as well as all my own living expenses and airfare while abroad.

Also, if I'm not wrong, in order to stay in the "international" stream, you will have to have a credit+ average. Which is what you need to apply for exchange as a student from any other degree anyways. And you have to add another year on top of the regular commerce degree to just basically "do something overseas for a year which adds an extra year to your degree and HECS debt" when you can "do something overseas for a year that would count towards your degree and let you graduate a year earlier" under just a normal Commerce degree... All that without adding on an additional year of HECS debt. Plus, the UAI is lower, lol, though I see the UAI isn't really your main concern. :p

Oh and with the Commerce (Liberal Studies), I use to think it would be fun doing all different kinds of subjects from several different faculties. Then I was told by someone who did that degree that it's not as flexible as they say. You cannot do more than a certain units of subjects from a certain faculty. And if you wanted to study about something in depth (other than business related subjects), you might be left unsatisfied as you will not be able to do more than just a few subjects. I say, do Commerce/Science instead if you're more interested in science/maths/psychology stuff and it's also 4 years (same length as liberal). Or if you're in for some other language or history/politics/art subjects as well as some science stuff (yes apparently you can co-major in something like mathematics in an arts degree...), do Commerce/Arts if you don't mind the extra year on top of the four years.

But at the end of the day, it's your choice.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
soopacow said:
I'm not doing Commerce (International) OR International Studies. And I'll be going on exchange for a year next year. I will not pay the tuition fees of the overseas university, but instead I pay UNSW my normal fees (as I would if I was still in UNSW, via HECS), as well as all my own living expenses and airfare while abroad.

Also, if I'm not wrong, in order to stay in the "international" stream, you will have to have a credit+ average. Which is what you need to apply for exchange as a student from any other degree anyways. And you have to add another year on top of the regular commerce degree to just basically "do something overseas for a year which adds an extra year to your degree and HECS debt" when you can "do something overseas for a year that would count towards your degree and let you graduate a year earlier" under just a normal Commerce degree... All that without adding on an additional year of HECS debt. Plus, the UAI is lower, lol, though I see the UAI isn't really your main concern. :p

Oh and with the Commerce (Liberal Studies), I use to think it would be fun doing all different kinds of subjects from several different faculties. Then I was told by someone who did that degree that it's not as flexible as they say. You cannot do more than a certain units of subjects from a certain faculty. And if you wanted to study about something in depth (other than business related subjects), you might be left unsatisfied as you will not be able to do more than just a few subjects. I say, do Commerce/Science instead if you're more interested in science/maths/psychology stuff and it's also 4 years (same length as liberal). Or if you're in for some other language or history/politics/art subjects as well as some science stuff (yes apparently you can co-major in something like mathematics in an arts degree...), do Commerce/Arts if you don't mind the extra year on top of the four years.

But at the end of the day, it's your choice.
yeh but for that extra year you can add up to 2 majors in int'l studies on top of your double major in commerce, including a year overseas.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
lionking1191 said:
yeh but for that extra year you can add up to 2 majors in int'l studies on top of your double major in commerce, including a year overseas.
No you can't. Not 2 extra majors anyways. Just one more.
You're talking about Commerce/Arts which is a 5 year double degree course that allows you to do up to a total of 4 majors (2 from business & 2 from arts).

So if you're really just wanting 1 major under business and 2nd major as a language or something, and don't want to go uni for that extra year, go for B. Commerce.

But if you want to do some double major in business, and a language and have enough money to go on the year long exchange, go for Commerce (international).

If you don't have money or the UAI for Commerce (international), but want to do all that you would do under the international degree, go for B. Commerce and then apply for Diploma of Languages (which adds another year to your degree, making it the same length as the international one), and then simply just apply to go on exchange for a year after a semester or 2 at the uni if you have the money.

Or if you like doing lots of different random subjects and learn something from everything but not really looking to perfect anything much, then go for Commerce (liberal).

Or, if you don't mind spending a little longer at uni and doing a little more, head for Commerce/Arts.

Finally, keep in mind that anyone can apply for exchange, and during my information session last semester for exchange application, they told us that the success rate depends mainly on how much you want to go and how much that is shown on your personal statement you wrote for the application, academic results are one of the last things they consider. The international studies stream students don't get priority in their first preferences either (for example, I got my first preference and I'm not doing international studies, whereas a friend of mine got his 4th preference - and he's listed my first preference as his 2nd preference and he's doing international studies).

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
soopacow said:
No you can't. Not 2 extra majors anyways. Just one more.
You're talking about Commerce/Arts which is a 5 year double degree course that allows you to do up to a total of 4 majors (2 from business & 2 from arts).

Actually I apologize about the co-majoring the language part in the International one. I re-checked and you can't co-major in a language, but rather have it as a major under international studies.

So if you're really just wanting 1 major under business and 2nd major as a language or something, and don't want to go uni for that extra year, go for B. Commerce.

But if you want to do some double major in business, and a language and have enough money to go on the year long exchange, go for Commerce (international).

If you don't have money or the UAI for Commerce (international), but want to do all that you would do under the international degree, go for B. Commerce and then apply for Diploma of Languages (which adds another year to your degree, making it the same length as the international one), and then simply just apply to go on exchange for a year after a semester or 2 at the uni if you have the money.

Or if you like doing lots of different random subjects and learn something from everything but not really looking to perfect anything much, then go for Commerce (liberal).

Or, if you don't mind spending a little longer at uni and doing a little more, head for Commerce/Arts.

Finally, keep in mind that anyone can apply for exchange, and during my information session last semester for exchange application, they told us that the success rate depends mainly on how much you want to go and how much that is shown on your personal statement you wrote for the application, academic results are one of the last things they consider. The international studies stream students don't get priority in their first preferences either (for example, I got my first preference and I'm not doing international studies, whereas a friend of mine got his 4th preference - and he's listed my first preference as his 2nd preference and he's doing international studies).
hmm i was looking at the comm.(int'l) in the uac guide and that's what it said. 4 majors in 4 years is stretching it a bit so i'm not quite sure what they mean. you could do 2 languages if you go by the languages stream in int'l studies, so if you are into languages you could still do a commerce double major in 4 yrs.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
lionking1191 said:
hmm i was looking at the comm.(int'l) in the uac guide and that's what it said. 4 majors in 4 years is stretching it a bit so i'm not quite sure what they mean. you could do 2 languages if you go by the languages stream in int'l studies, so if you are into languages you could still do a commerce double major in 4 yrs.
Check the page for yourself. :)
UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce (International) - 3538

I think it meant that you can do up to 2 languages under the languages stream, but I don't think you'd be able to really master both languages since you'd be restricted in terms of how many of these subjects you can take.

lordesf

HSC
so doing comece (int) will allow u to do a double major in business and 1 in langage in tht 4 yr period?

How long usually does double major in business in B commerce or a double major consisitng 1 language and 1 business?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW Handbook

seriously give it a read.

but if your talking about:

B commerce = 1 or 2 majors from what i know
B commerce/science = 1 major in each but from what i heard, you can do a double major in science only if you are doing maths and statistics as your science major
B Commerce/arts = 2 majors in each degree with a total of 4 majors
B Commerce(Liberal studies) = 2 majors in Commerce and with a chance to do 6 arts and science courses with i think 3 Liberal studies subjects which are based from the business faculty
B Commerce (international) = ?? dont know many who do this degree if at all...

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You'll notice no one ever does a minor in their degree. What's the point when you can do 2 majors instead...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
that is true, and also it does get a bit exhaustive doing many subjects from the same major!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)