• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commerce + Maths Vs Actuary (finances) (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Alright I have 2 Courses:

Double degree: Commerce and Mathematics at UWA

or

Acturial sciences (probally with finances) at Curtin University.

This is, you can only do your stage 1 in Curtin then you have to do it at another Uni (education by distance or w/e.)

I don't neccisary want to be an actuary, but I want a job involving maths and commerce.

What do you guys reckon?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Actuary is maths.
Yeah I realise this it's just UWA is not on this list of offical actuary schools whilt Curtin is.

Reading around I think if I get in contact with the Actuary Board of Australia or w/e its called after i get a B.Comm + B.Maths/Comp Sciences they will give me my stage 1 Actuary if I have finished certain classes in Uni.

Trajan

HSC
Studentleader said:
Yeah I realise this it's just UWA is not on this list of offical actuary schools whilt Curtin is.

Reading around I think if I get in contact with the Actuary Board of Australia or w/e its called after i get a B.Comm + B.Maths/Comp Sciences they will give me my stage 1 Actuary if I have finished certain classes in Uni.

Yah I'd go with that option...That's pretty much what I'm doing now.

Last edited:

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Studentleader said:
Wait, you mean that they'll give you PartI (i.e. CT1 to CT8) for doing certain subjects in your degree at an unrecognised (by the IAA) university?

Because I was under the impression that you could only get exemption from the accredited universities (Macq, UNSW, Melb, ANU and now Curtin)

EDIT: http://www.actuaries.asn.au/IAA/Tem...-2DC23E0AA1EC}&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#graduatefrom
It is possible for non-actuarial students to gain exemptions from certain parts of the Part I syllabus. Students who studied at Australian and New Zealand Universities can apply for an exemption from one or more of subjects CT2, CT3, CT7 and CT8 by completing an application form and returning it to the Institute office.

These applications will then be considered by the Institute Exemptions Committee who meet in February, May, August and November to assess applications for exemption. Applicants are notified of decisions following these meetings.

The exemptions are from the following subjects:

v CT2 Finance and Financial Reporting
v CT3 Statistical Modelling
v CT7 Economics
v CT8 Financial Economics

For more information about the exemption policy please download the application form available under education/forms.
Ok so you can get half of PartI from other unis.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
In reply to above would i have to do much more or after I apply they would give me my part one?

Do you do part 1-3 in uni? because curtin only is accredited for part 1?

Trajan

HSC
Studentleader said:
In reply to above would i have to do much more or after I apply they would give me my part one?

Yo Student Leader....I don't wanna be all up in your face but maybe you should worry about all this after you have finished high school.

Really...you've got to concentrate more on getting into these courses rather then worrying about what you're going to do after you finish uni at this point in time.

Last edited:

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Studentleader said:
Sorry wouldnt have a clue.

Yea we can do parts I and II at Macq (and at UNSW, not sure about others).

Macq will also start offering part III soon, but I think you need some practical experience before you can start or get accredidited with (can't remember which) you IIIs. But only about 40% of people get their part IIIs, so that sucks :(

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
jake2.0 said:
Sorry wouldnt have a clue.

Yea we can do parts I and II at Macq (and at UNSW, not sure about others).

Macq will also start offering part III soon, but I think you need some practical experience before you can start or get accredidited with (can't remember which) you IIIs. But only about 40% of people get their part IIIs, so that sucks :(
Thanks for your input, you can still work with part I though? Probally like comparing a B.Comm to a MBA?

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Studentleader said:
Thanks for your input, you can still work with part I though?
Yea of course, but obviously the more qualifications+experience you have the higher up you'll go (assuming you have the drive).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)