Computer Science UNSW Bridging Course (1 Viewer)

FesuY

HSC
I am currently in year 11 doing advanced maths. I plan on doing computer science in UNSW, but according to many people you need to take ext 1 maths to cope with the maths involved. But according to the UNSW bridging course info, it says that a person who achieves 86 or above in advanced maths is capable of doing the maths needed in the course. Does this mean I need to atleast achieve a mark of 86+ to satisfy the requirements, or is a bridging course more beneficial. Lmk you thoughts

quickoats

HSC
There is no specific benchmark as there are no prerequisites. If you get above 86 in 2U, it is appropriate for you to do the entry level first year maths course (MATH1131). If you get lower than that, you can still enrol in MATH1131 without any issue, but it is recommended that you rather do the bridging course or MATH1011 before you do MATH1131.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I am currently in year 11 doing advanced maths. I plan on doing computer science in UNSW, but according to many people you need to take ext 1 maths to cope with the maths involved. But according to the UNSW bridging course info, it says that a person who achieves 86 or above in advanced maths is capable of doing the maths needed in the course. Does this mean I need to atleast achieve a mark of 86+ to satisfy the requirements, or is a bridging course more beneficial. Lmk you thoughts
You should either learn the ext 1 math material yourself (possibly in holidays between HSC and Uni starting) or do the bridging course (ideally a combination of both so you are ready for the course). Just keep in mind though if you try self-learn some of it, that not all of the maths ext 1 content in Year 11/12 is needed for the MATH1131 course, so you can save some time and skip over those things. You can find out about the topics in the MATH1131 course by looking up the course outline on the UNSW Math page and just compare that against the math ext 1 syllabus on the NESA website.

A lot of the stuff in the MATH1131, builds on ext 1 math knowledge and so having that knowledge beforehand is beneficial. Maybe you can pass the course with only 2 unit prior knowledge and then just working hard, but to do well in the distinction or high distinction levels, this will be probably more difficult. So if you're going to be aiming for like decently high marks then probably best off to do bridging course. They do cover that 3 unit content in the MATH1131 course somewhat but it's very rushed and not enough time to take in all the content, do practice and have a solid foundation for the rest of the concepts. I did the MATH1131 back in 2017 and that was when semester system was in place and I remember from then the 3 unit stuff was only like 1-2 weeks. I can only imagine that content is more rushed in the trimester system as there is 3 less weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)