computer water cooling devices (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i heard that instead of using a fan to cool the processor other methods exist. can u guys just tell me what ways are there

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Yes like a friend of mine whos a "freak" he built himself:
a water heatsink (which connects straight to the CPU and conduct heat away)
a tube-like water chiller
2 hole on the back of his case
STOLE a boat pump (realistically used to draw water out of a boat's hull)

Then he connected them up.. with tubes
It works great, the boat pump is surprisingly quiet and runs of the 12 volt power supply from the computer.
All he has to do is top up his water chiller every so often

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
SashatheMan said:
thats whta i was thinking. having water in my computer is not cool
its *cooler* than having 6 fans in ur comp ;)

not to mention how much quiter it is.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
That depends you can get away with a passivly cooled radiator or you can force cool it by fanning it.

However larger slower (read quiter) fans can be used to cool the radiator hence overall noise is still lowered and the CPU will run much cooler.

However considering how much heat a water-cooling system can shift it is a waste to put it straight onto the CPU.

If you place a peltier on the CPU then you can cool the CPU to sub-zero (not really a good thing to do but a good example of the power of a peltier) and then use the water-cooling to cool the peltier.

NOTE: A peltier is a heat transferece device with no moving parts. One side becomes very cool and the other exhausts heat produced by whatever's being cooled and that produced by the device itself.

So by inserting a peltier the CPU can be cooler and the water-cooling actually useful.

Apologies to those who know about peltiers, I have dumbed down the explanation considerably.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
in effect, water cooling is useless unless you are planning to overclock the hell out of your computer. or if you just think water cooling just looks nice.

you can pick up a large, effective copper HSF for your CPU/GPU for less than 70 bucks which does an excellent job.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
addymac said:
If you place a peltier on the CPU then you can cool the CPU to sub-zero (not really a good thing to do but a good example of the power of a peltier) and then use the water-cooling to cool the peltier.
It is highly effective, but you need to make sure there is no condensation inside the case due to the extreme difference in temperature.

As for water cooling...it shouldn't leak if it is set up properly and you don't use some cheap rig. It is very useful if you want your PC to produce as little noise as possible.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Templar said:
It is highly effective, but you need to make sure there is no condensation inside the case due to the extreme difference in temperature.
And be able to actually efficently cool the other side of the peltier element.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
addymac said:
Apologies to those who know about peltiers, I have dumbed down the explanation considerably.
LOL, thats ok, i totally forgot about peltiers....amazing stuff....lol...wouldnt want to get the face of the peltier the wrong way around on ur cpu ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)