• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Confused (1 Viewer)

kristin03041991

HSC
just asking. what subjects do i do to get a 95 or higher TER to get into Law?
coz i'm pretty confident with my subject choices but I'm worried that they would be weighted lower than I expected. I am from South Australia.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
South Australia? I'm sorry, but I'm not so familiar with the education system there. When you get back to school, just talk to your teachers and discuss it with them, unless there's another person living in South Australia browsing the forums.

HSC
I'm not from South Australia, (WA instead), but I'm sure its basically the same type of system.

First of all, it is possible to get a TER of 95 with any combination of subjects. For us to assess your scaling though, you'd need to post your subjects. Wherever you live, its pretty safe to assume that subjects like Physics and Chemistry will generally be weighted higher than Art, for example.

However, the affect of scaling is lessened by performing higher in the subject. I do Human Biology, which is generally a subject which scales downwards (but not always). My teacher explained to me that since the majority of students achieve a raw mark of between 50-65, these students are the most harshly affected by scaling. However, those who achieved higher marks (85+), were generally not affected by scaling.

I know this isn't very clear, but my message is that no matter what subjects that you do, you can still achieve any rank, provided that you work hard enough for it. Also, don't choose subjects just because they are higher scaling than others. Thats one recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

jellybelly59

HSC
There have been a lot of threads in the past about subject selections in relation to scaling and i think most ppl agree that if u can do really well in ur subjects than scaling won't stop u from getting a 95 or higher... just work ur ass off :D Is it only 95 to get into law at WA? the marks to get into law in sydney are absolutely ridiculous... i know ur gonna have to be smart but being in the top 0.45% of the state is crazy... even if dere are approximately 68000+ ppl doing the HSC exams each yr

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
There have been a lot of threads in the past about subject selections in relation to scaling and i think most ppl agree that if u can do really well in ur subjects than scaling won't stop u from getting a 95 or higher... just work ur ass off :D
quoted for truth.

jellybelly59 said:
Is it only 95 to get into law at WA? the marks to get into law in sydney are absolutely ridiculous... i know ur gonna have to be smart but being in the top 0.45% of the state is crazy... even if dere are approximately 68000+ ppl doing the HSC exams each yr
Its certainly not 99.55 for law in WA. Of the five uni's in the state, the lowest TER for law is 85, while the highest is 96.5. This, however, is relying on information that my careers coordinator told us, and may be incorrect. But I am sure that it is nowhere near as crazy as for USyd. I'll find more accurate statistics though and post them up.

HSC
Law cut-offs for the University of Western Australia (2007):

UWL1C Law/Arts 97.00

UWL2C Law/Arts(Asian Studies) 97.00

UWL3C Law/Commerce 97.05
UWL4C Law/Arts (Communication Studies 97.20

UWL5C Law/Economics 97.15
UWL6C Law/Engineering 97.50
UWL7C Law/Health Science 97.60
UWL8C Law/Musical Arts N/A
UWL9C Law/Science 97.45

Just to illustrate how ridiculously cutoffs vary from state to state, uni to uni. But I do recongnise that it is more desirable to have a law degree from a group of eight university, hence the demand and resultant minimum eligibility vary considerably.

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
It is possible to achieve 95+ (indeed even 100) with any combination of subjects. You said "i'm pretty confident with my subject choices but I'm worried that they would be weighted lower than I expected" - which subjects have you chosen?

As far as I am aware, most law degrees are offered in combination with another degree such as B Arts, B Commerce, B Science, etc. So depending on what you want to do, you do need to give consideration to subjects which will be advantageous for you. For example, if you wish to do B Arts/B Laws it is advisable to take higher levels of English and some humanities/social science subjects. On the other hand if you want to study B Commerce/B Laws, then subjects like Economics and Business Studies will be helpful. Have a look at what universities have listed as assumed knowledge and recommended studies for the combined law degree that you are intereseted in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)