Conics (2 Viewers)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If y = mx+k is a tangent to the hyperbola x²/a²- y²/b² = 1, show that m²a²-b²=k².

Subbing in gets messy, I'm trying to figure out what the m²a²-b²=k². could possilby physically mean.

Help = love.

undalay

HSC
Sub It In Its Not Messy

hint: sub in then use delta = 0 (since its tangent)

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
use parametrics, subbing y=mx + b is the terry lee way, which takes much longer.

find the gradient, then let m= that gradient, because the tangent's gradient equals the hyperbolas gradient

solve the equation, i cant type the rest out look at cambridge example its RIGHT THERE :wave:

undalay

HSC
ooooh yes that is a good way also :]
Rui uu lovee cambridgee.

Terry Lee is better coz we brute force everything.
Elegant proofs are forr girls.

YannY

HSC
subbing in y=mx+b is the terry lee way? im sure they thought of it before the formation of terry lee as a sperm happened.

I really doubt terry lee invented any of his methods, he merely copied his students, besides alot of his methods are just nonsense and useless

But between cambridge and terry lee, i would say terry lee though he credits his work way too much, his book has the ideal methods unlike that of cambridge, where there is just a juxaposition of formulas - haha yeah.

But better yet, its ten times better to get tutored by terry lee, though i hear he is a little proud mathsmatician who credits other peoples work as his own.

I also heard his son is gun at maths achieving 100% in both 3u and 4u in the last exam, yes hes in our grade. But he like his father are just anticlockwise in the heard, gets his exam back and dosnt even look at it because he knows he's got 100%.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
YannY said:
subbing in y=mx+b is the terry lee way? im sure they thought of it before the formation of terry lee as a sperm happened.

I really doubt terry lee invented any of his methods, he merely copied his students, besides alot of his methods are just nonsense and useless

But between cambridge and terry lee, i would say terry lee though he credits his work way too much, his book has the ideal methods unlike that of cambridge, where there is just a juxaposition of formulas - haha yeah.

But better yet, its ten times better to get tutored by terry lee, though i hear he is a little proud mathsmatician who credits other peoples work as his own.

I also heard his son is gun at maths achieving 100% in both 3u and 4u in the last exam, yes hes in our grade. But he like his father are just anticlockwise in the heard, gets his exam back and dosnt even look at it because he knows he's got 100%.
edit *HAHA THATS YANG RIGHT? U 4UNIT MATH MACHINE*
lol thats funny i know a couple of ppl from my skoo that went terry lees coachin and quit cuz they think hes a dikhead >_> and no i never said he invented that method, i just saw it in his book =D
but overall i still prefer cambridge (lol jimmy no i dont love it) they have quicker methods for some stuff but u jst have to patient to try and work out the steps in between =D

jkwii

Ultimate Member
HSC
got a question,

P is a variable point on the hyperbola with focus S. PT is the tangent and P and ST is perpendicular to PT. Find the locus of T.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
YannY said:
what, who's yang? i go to baulkham hills
lol realy? i thought u were yang from fort st since ur friend with jimmy

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
jkwii said:
got a question,

P is a variable point on the hyperbola with focus S. PT is the tangent and P and ST is perpendicular to PT. Find the locus of T.
the 4unit syllabus does not require you to know the locus of ellipses/hyperbolas, you only need to know locus of rectangular hyperbolas

YannY

HSC
rooeys2 said:
lol realy? i thought u were yang from fort st since ur friend with jimmy
i get mistaked by this 'yang' guy alot, my name is Yanni and im greek. Yang does sound very asian.

Rofl lolz i used to go to epping boys

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
YannY said:
i get mistaked by this 'yang' guy alot, my name is Yanni and im greek. Yang does sound very asian.

Rofl lolz i used to go to epping boys
yang keep lying il smack ur head i already aske jimmy u idiot use some of ur 4unit math brain HAHA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)