• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Considering Digital Arts at ANU (1 Viewer)

Keilious

HSC
Howdy.
Seeing as the facilities of UNSW's COFA didn't particularly enthrall me, I decided that I'll probably bump ANU's course to the top of my preference list.

I'm going down to Canberra in a week or two to check the university out, but until then, can any of you guys doing it tell me what you think of the Digital Arts course?

What about the portfolio and interview? Can anyone give me a rough guide as to what I'm competing with? What is asked on the interview?

Thanks in advance.

Keilious

HSC
Kay... Well seeing as its been a couple weeks without a reply... Is there another forum out there where ANU students are more active mayhaps?

And another question: There is supposedly no UAI req for Digital Arts, is this really the case, or is there a "hidden cut-off" of sorts?

Callistogenic

HSC
Digital arts is fantastic if you're prepared to work it - spend extra time in the labs - and generally enjoy mingling with other people.

Portfolio? For a general gist, have a look on my deviantART. (callistogenic.deviantart.com) There's also examples from other first-years there listed in my friends. IM me for more details.

Last year when I attended my interview, I had 15 professionally-mounted images to show, along with a takeaway-Asian food box concept, which didn't get finished in time. The point is, be prepared to talk about your work. It'd be a good idea to do some research into prior artists that you've either studied when creating your works.

Interviews generally go for 15-20 minutes. During that time and while you're showing your artworks, you will be asked random questions based on your application form and your work presented. The key here is to be focused, as questions can come out from any corner of the table. Normal attendants include the Head of the CNMA, and respective department heads for Digital video, IDM and Computer music.

You're competing against the best in this half of the country. Last year around 150-200 applicants applied, and only 40 got in. I, luckily enough, was a wildcard. :D

There's no cut-off, as such. They will ask you what UAI you're attempting to obtain, however. I didn't get a UAI, but I was allowed in, so I guess it just depends on how lucky you are during the interview.

Any other questions, just ask or IM me.

P.S. Ché Baker (Digital video) is an incredible asset to the CNMA. Having worked previously for Channel Ten, along with producing segments for Australia's Funniest Home Video Show, his own freelance work, editing episodes of Dawson's Creek and chairing the DMF. If DV's one of your electives, be sure to have him as your lecturer in 2nd semester. You won't be disappointed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)