context for BNW/BR (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
dp624 said:
OK here's a paragraph which is representative of my balancing:

The exploitation of science distances humans from the natural state, such that emotion and interaction are repressed, leading to a lower quality of life. Huxley’s Brave New World is shaped by the transformed scientific and economic outlooks caused by the World War and the Depression of the early 20th century. The notions of consumerism and industrialisation were likewise increased with Ford’s introduction of production line manufacturing. In particular, the Hatchery, a place of birth, is ironically represented as “cold beyond the summer…harsh thin light…bleakly shining.” The negative connotation in the imagery illustrates the undesirable consequences of detachment from nature, as humanity’s interactions are compromised. Similarly, controversial scientific experiments such as Pavlov’s conditioning and Spemann’s embryonics shaped the mass production of humans in Brave New World. Lenina, the ideal citizen, repeats the hypnopaedic “a gramme is better than a damn”, showing her lacking emotion through simplistic rhyming. This parallels the use of scientific jargon “decanting” and “ectogenesis,” as “the principles of mass production [are] finally applied to biology.” These scientific perversions result in reduced emotion and individuality, as reinforced through the DHC’s high modality didactic statement “conditioning aims at … making people like their inescapable social destiny.” Therefore, Huxley’s antithetical satire presents the notion that humanity’s distortion of science and marginalisation of nature compromises their quality of existence.
that's quite good. :) it hones the criteria for that module. nicely integrated too.
here's one of my paragraphs:

Ridley Scott revealed to us through his film “Blade Runner”, the exploitation and manipulation of natural processes in the tension between humanity and the natural world. In the 1980’s era, when Ridley Scott directed this film, society was swamped with breakthrough scientific and technological advancements, combined with industrial and globalised markets, giving rise to concerns of ethical issues of the impact of science and technology in manipulating nature, such as in genetic engineering. The rising issues and developments within the 1980s era influenced Scott’s portrayal of humanity in “Blade Runner”. “Blade Runner” depicts the manufacture of human-like replicants, which are ultimately a symbol of humanity’s immorality and utter rejection and exploitation of natural processes. Replicants are imbued with an intellectual capacity superior to humans, ironically giving rise to a thirst life. In the intriguing scene, where Roy, a replicant, rescues Deckard, a Bladerunner; whose aim is to kill replicants on Earth, we observe the pinnacle of Roy’s ironic surpassing of humanity in his ambition to grasp the pure essence and richness of life. Roy says to Deckard “I’ve seen things... you people wouldn’t believe...” Roy’s gentle, reflective and empathetic tone reveals that he is truly an antithesis of his created purpose, highlighting the flaws and social emptiness of an unethical, insensitive human society that has manipulated and perverted the natural state. Hence, tension within humanity’s relationship with the natural world is magnified through society’s tampering with nature which satirically highlights humanity’s loss of moral values and the perversion of the meaning of human life.

dp624

HSC
That's also quite good ^^ Nice language, high level vocab ahah
However i think that you could lead into the text quicker? Perhaps your first few sentences can be more condensed. This would let you have another example as well, which would be good as it seems slightly lacking in terms of quotes etc.
My 2 cents

Hahaaha it's a bit late to change stuff around now =P

jokerj

HSC
to be honest, why even care guys
think about it
u never ever have to worry about these texts again
i've already erased it all from my mind :p
theres no need to discuss it anymore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)