contract law (1 Viewer)

pinkchibi

HSC
[FONT=&quot]Andy advertised a block of land for sale, stating that it was zoned for light industrial. Tim, who wanted to build a workshop from which to run his mechanical repair business, inspected the property and agreed to buy it. After negotiations and before Andy and Tim signed the contract of sale, the Council changed the zoning of the land to residential, a fact known to Andy, but not Tim. Tim signed the contract and has now discovered that he cannot build his workshop.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Advise Tim[/FONT]

Can someone help me understand this? im not sure which law to apply.i just want to know how explaint. otherwise i'll have no idea for exam!

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
[FONT=&quot]Andy advertised a block of land for sale, stating that it was zoned for light industrial. Tim, who wanted to build a workshop from which to run his mechanical repair business, inspected the property and agreed to buy it. After negotiations and before Andy and Tim signed the contract of sale, the Council changed the zoning of the land to residential, a fact known to Andy, but not Tim. Tim signed the contract and has now discovered that he cannot build his workshop.[/FONT]

Can someone help me understand this? im not sure which law to apply.i just want to know how explaint. otherwise i'll have no idea for exam!
Life is hard like that

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
At this stage of the semester you should be able to identify the relevant issues in a problem question.

Read it carefully, think of what you learnt about formation of contract, capacity etc and then see where you think there may be an issue.

Then apply legal problem solving formula:
State the Issue
State the relevant Law
Apply Law to facts
Conclude

No one can teach you how to identify issues. If you're having trouble with this you need to keep doing the tute problem questions/ ask your tutor to help.

Camleigh

HSC

Well, try to look at the issues of FORMATION and INTERPRETATION. Using IRAQ, go through offer and acceptance, consideration, intention to create legal relations, certainty of terms etc.

Some issues may not be live on the facts. Look at which ones are. Then, when you have identified the issues, think of any relevant rules and try to apply them to the facts.

Also look at the theory regarding termination, estoppel etc. Hopefully it will all become clearer. Any rule you state, be sure to consider CASE LAW.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)